485 views
4.3

Unbeknownst to me, USAA has a Survivor Relation department which helps to facilitate the accounts of a deceased member. I was a joint owner of a checking account with my grandmother.

The first problem was this department called me on the day of the funeral. How insensitive!!! The last thing I want to worry about is finances on the day I am saying goodbye to my loved one. I wasn’t even sure how they were notified of her death.

When I asked, I was told they couldn't disclose that information! What? I wasn’t in a good of state of mind to handle any business that day and asked for a call back in a week. I never received a call back.

When I called I was told all the debit cards associated with the account had been closed. I was pissed because I’m a joint owner. Why would you stop my debit card without my permission? I was instructed to upload the death certificate and a letter of intent to their website.

But after following their exact instructions, the account was not closed. When I called back a month later, I was informed, I only uploaded the death certificate and not the letter of intent. I asked the representative to check again because I was sure I uploaded both documents, but she could not find the document on their website. We were accidentally disconnected and I called again and the next representative informed me she did locate the letter of intent but I would have to call back tomorrow because of a pending transfer I had made.

I begged her, is there anyway you can close the account tomorrow after the transfer without me having to call again since you have the documents. She stated no, i would have to call back. The very next day I called again and after spending 15 mins on hold was told the accounts had been closed due to the letter of intent. Are you serious, I asked.

Why was I instructed to call again. This entire process has been a nuisance. I asked to speak with a supervisor and was told they were all in a meeting but someone could call me back within 24-48 hours.

It’s been a week. USAA has really dropped the ball with this one.

Product or Service Mentioned: Usaa Checking Account.

Location: Arlington, Virginia