2.6
Interest Rate

Until they fix this "internal" policy, DO NOT BANK WITH USAA!

Due to illness and a run of bad luck, my three loans and one credit card with USAA went significantly past due. As soon as possible I started working extra jobs totaling 60-80 hours per week to make extra payments to catch back up. I was making daily payments totaling well above the minimums and the balances started coming down.

A few weeks later USAA exercised their "Right to Offset" (RTO) and emptied my checking account to pay the remaining past due balance. The money they took (over $2000) was meant to pay for my wife's Immigration Fees. Without this money my wife could face deportation.

YES, THEY STOLE MY WIFES IMMIGRATION FUND TO APPLY TO THE BALANCE OF A LOAN I WAS ALREADY REPAYING!

Fortunately when I called them, they were able to reverse the RTO and we were able to pay USCIS for my wife's immigration.

I thought this was resolved and continued payments. In the next month, I was able to bring one of the four accounts current, and reduce my total past due by over 25%.

Today, they offset my ex-wife's checking account. They refused to honor our divorce papers which make the debt my sole responsibility. She's moving in a week THEY TOOK HER RENT AND DOWN PAYMENT!

This time when I called in, they REFUSED to reverse the RTO, stating that the internal policy had changed.

USAA will knowingly drive people to deportation and homelessness, just to collect a past-due account a few week faster.

Reason of review: Policies and Practices.

Preferred solution: Reverse Right To Offset. Fix policy. Wipe past-due fees as apology..

I didn't like: Almost having my immigrant wife deported, Unwilling to apologize and make things right, Very poor business practices, Having my money stolen by the bank, Abuse of right to offset.

Comments

Any bank that dips into your personal funds is not worth having. The trust is gone.

Go elsewhere.

I have been approached by a major network as an older woman with USAA for 35 years to talk about things they have done. Can we talk?

#1481985

Fail to pay bills, expect collection activities. Duh!