USAA credit card services are a joke. They have Refused to reverse a mistake they made concerning card payment

1.5
I went on their website to my account to authorize a payment amount due to a dispute with a company. I told them to authorize a withdrawal of a certain amount minus the dispute amount. They still took out the disputed amount along with the amount I said to withdrawal. When I called and told them they had made the mistake, they said they cannot reverse the withdrawal but that I had to go to the bank and get a cash advance for the amount in question, but by doing that I would have to pay 3% of the advance. Their mistake, their refusal to return my money and then I would have to pay a percentage to get my money back. I am going to start using my other credit card and will be dropping their car insurance.

This is your mistake, not theirs. Cannot do it this way. Lump it.

Usaa Credit Card
Cons
  • Customer service
Poor customer service
Loss
I been a USAA member for 8 years and never had been accused of any fraud. In June of 2014 my debit card was stolen and used at Fort Bragg, North Carolina. Once I saw my card was being used in another state for charges I didn't make I called USAA and canceled the card....
Chandelle

My home was burglarized in Nov 2018, 5 months later USAA DENIED my claim, claimed fraud, shut down all 6 of my accounts. I filed using my PPV insurance to try and recover at least $10k of my $70k in damage and loss from denied claim.

DENIED AGAIN! During this, I had a no fault car accident, tree branch hit my windshield, DENIED. Over the past 9 years, I have been insured with them and filed 2 accident claims only. I’ve paid over $22,000 in insurance rates, how do they get away with this?

They never even came to my own to investigate my claims. No adjuster ever, and California law says they have 30-60 days, not close to 6 months to deny my claim.

Please help me, I’m disabled (mental disorders) and I feel discriminated against. I also can’t get anyone to insure me now and might lose my house.

View more comments
Fayetteville, North Carolina
Not as described/ advertised
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
2.5
Trying to charge $500 to my grocery gift card. Same store and same amount every month. Plenty of room on the card. No reason to decline it. But they did. And it was Sunday so I couldn't call anyone. Happened before with my debit card at my car dealership when I...

It has nothing to do with you personally or any person at the card company. Something you are doing is triggering their computer that fraud is a possibility. Do some investigating as what is going on to cause the computer to freak.

Boulder, Colorado
Reason of review
Won't allow me to access my funds

USAA Credit Card Services - FAILED PROTECTING ME FROM FRAUD

Basically I never signed or verbally agreed to ANY of the fees I was charged by a company. USAA's fraud protection has considerably let me down and now I'm out $150 since the company decided to act in an unethical manner and bill me for services never rendered. USAA's dispute resolution group is a giant joke. I'm shocked they're siding with a company where I never signed or agreed anything verbally with. Its outrageous. Best part about this is I've never even been given an explanation by USAA why they ruled in this company's favor. Be careful dealing with USAA credit cards when you run into fraud!

We need a lot more information before knowing what really went on here. What about timing for your dispute?

What actually happened?

USAA - Account Access denied

I have been a customer with USAA for at least 10 years. Now that I am divorced and having financial struggles, USAA has not been there for me. I have informed them about my financial struggles, and requested a extension on my Loan and Credit Card payment .... they denied me.....Then a couple days later, for over a month ago, I started receiving this message when I tried to log on. "According to our records, you have unresolved charges with us. To obtain limited access to existing accounts you may log on by clicking proceed below. In order to resolve your charges and gain access to usaa.com, please call toll-free 1-800-331-2454." This is my checking account, IRA, Auto Insurance, and Credit Check Monitoring(which I did pay $5.50 a month for). The accounts I owe money on is the reason for USAA to deny access to any of these other important accounts, which should not have any connection.
Usaa Credit Card
We've been with USAA for way too long. Someone in another forum struck a nerve by noting that a few years ago USAA suddenly began to backslide. For me it was the day they started sales pitching relentlessly with cheesy back-to-back ads on TV. Wish their recent core...

Your review seems strange, since they are consistently at the top of independent evaluations by various organizations, CU and A M Best to name a couple.

View more comments
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Usaa Credit Card

USAA - Credit card balance transfer , despicable!

I took the bait when USAA sent me a offer of low credit card balance transfers, so I transferred my high rate cards. What I did not know is that after a short promotional period they would treat the balance as a cash advance, big bucks as we all know. I now pay more than before I transferred my balances! . So I asked if I can pay off what they considered "cash advances" separate from my regular credit card balance, NO!!!!I take full blame for not getting out my microscope to read the entire journal (agreement) but, dammmm!So, don't buy into all the "we help military personnel and their family's" ***. Your better off with Capitol One or other major credit card companies who don't go waving the American Flag while they give you a financial enema!
Usaa Credit Card

USAA scamming peopel with "teaser" rates that no one every qualifies for.

USAA scamming peopel with "teaser" rates that no one every qualifies for.
Currently their website states 1.9-2.9% on used car loans. I went to get a loan and they refused to offer me that rate. They instead only offered 9.45% and made up excusses that the computer system says that is all I qualify for. I have a 744 credit score. WTF? I had the same issue with credit card from them. I am going to look to swtich to a new bank asap. I even called and spoke with them and it got me no where. They were polite yes but honestly do not care about you at all.

Have to agree with other commenters. I just recently purchased a used 2007 Hummer and the best rate I got from other financing was 5.9%. I then immediately refinanced with USAA at 2.9% and my credit score is actually less than yours.

USAA is a great company! They have guidelines and parameters for loans/lending like any financial institution.

Lots of people qualify for the lowest rates, good credit and great credit doesn't mean excellent though.

The credit score isn't the only thing a bank looks at; it's the over all credit profile for the past several years, so pay history, debt to income ratio, and revolving credit usage all need to be in line and support the amount you ask for. The year of the collateral, amount you borrow, and term are the other things that are considered when determining what rate you qualify for.

I agree. Your credit score is your problem With that score you will not find the lowest rate from any bank.

Good luck!

As low as means that it's the lowest rate that the company offers.

"Used car loan rates as low as 1.99% with discount for 36 months or 2.25% with discount for 60 months."

Translation: The cheapest rate we offer for used car loans is 1.99% for 36 months or 2.25% for 60 months. That is the lowest possible rate they offer. That doesn't mean it is the only rate they offer. It doesn't work that way.

You have to qualify for it.

#720677

Actually, if you read the advertisement that you copied from the website, it says this:

I see nothing about "1.9-2.9%" on used car loans.

It says AS LOW AS. Meaning that's the lowest your rate could be depending on your credit history.

It's not USAA's fault you can't read.

#719086

My last vehicle loan with USAA was at 1.5% I also recently got their lowest advertised mortgage rate. A 744 credit score is not "excellent".

Mine is 815 and that is still not the best. Sounds like you (your credit rating, credit history, income, income to debt ratio ???) is the problem not USAA.

View more comments (5)
San Antonio, Texas

USAA Fed Savings Bank gone to the dogs

And here is why... To begin with, they failed to send me my replacement ATM cards 3 times sending it to an old address and then twice again to the wrong new address, in spite of the fact that I had changed on my address on USAA's website at the time of my move a year ago. How they could screw up this so completely is shameful and ***. But that's not even of why I'm quitting USAA altogether. As if that wasn't bad enough, when I called in to the customer service to find out where the *** my card was and to complain, someone from Banking named Marshall answered. He was a complete ***. I wasn't Mister Nice-guy either, admittedly. I was angry that I still hadn't gotten the replacement ATM card after 3 weeks and 3 failed attempts to deliver it to wrong addresses. I wasn't cussing at him, but I was interrupting him telling him that his information was wrong etc when he got all huffy puffy with me for complaining telling me to correct my tone with him, and I'm like, what the *** kind of customer service *** would tell an angry customer to correct his tone??? So, I demanded to speak to his supervisor but he just hung up on me. So, needless to say this really pissed me off. I called back and, as luck would have it, I got him again! I politely, albeit through clenched teeth, demanded to speak to his supervisor again. He commented: "I'm hanging up on you again!" and hung up on me again! WTF!?!? So, I'm canceling my membership altogether. I have been a member for 25 years and can attest that what was once a world class organization who cared about its members has gone to *** and doesn't give a *** anymore about anything except its profits. USAA has gone down hill massively in the past few years... with the bank leading the way of screw ups. I have all my insurance policies and credit cards and loans through this company... well no more. I know others may not have experienced bad things with USAA and to you all I say, I wish you continued luck. But eventually, you're going to be on the losing side of USAA's continued slide down its current path of decline.
#852011

USAA said they sent me two checks to close out my checking and savings account. Or they said they sent them to me.

The bottom line I never got the checks. They are holding my money for a month now and will not send me a check. They want me to fill out a form that asks for the check number of the check that I never received. Which obviously the fact I never received the check how could I answer that question.

I am looking at starting a class action law suit against this once good organization that has turned in to a criminal organization.

I am looking for attorney that will go the distance with me on this one. I smell a rat here.

USAA is not the same company as it once was. I have been having issues with them for about a year now.

One issue is with the mobile app and the "privilege" of making making mobile deposits. We have been going through a rough patch as many have and so the credit score took a hit and because of that they have restricted my access to certain features of the mobile app and the full website. I have been a loyal customer/member for twenty plus years and I am at he put as many are and going to cancel all my services and membership.

USAA is not about the member anymore.

Viaan

I have to agree.....I was stranded in the philppines with a compromised credit card while on R&R and these jokers could not get me a new card to save their lives.....ever heard of freaking FEDEX? Three attempts later and no card......I finally just had it sent USPS to Afghanstan.....where it showed up FEDEX......WTH? The credit card department are a bunch of *** Travel with cash

Thank you for your post. I have been a USAA for over 27 yrs (USAA admitted this morning) and have never been late on an auto insurance payment and have a perfect driving record as well (again, their quote).

Following my being out of work for a full year (cannot find a new job), I have finally hit a financial wall and am late with my first payment. They have cancelled my auto insurance policy, following giving me incorrect information about the cancellation date, thus precluding my being able to make a payment and save the policy from cancellation. -USAA is denying that they gave me the wrong cancellation date (they told me to call on the 28Th to discuss "how we can help" and actually cancelled my policy at 12:01 AM on the 27TH. -Interesting.

They were rude, to top it all off. -I have had such faith in this company that I signed my own children up with USAA and created banking accounts for them and have told them to remain with this company for their insurance and banking needs as adults. -Forget that. -I have active military siblings that do not use USAA as their rates are so high.

I have always justified paying these higher rates by thinking the company was so high integrity. Apparently I was very wrong. They would rather lie about the misinformation they gave me on the phone regarding my being able to make a payment on the 28TH and still keep this policy and lose a 27+ year member. Professional?

I think not.

View more comments (3)
Austin, Texas

USAA Not Watching Their Big Whigs

My complaint is about USAA a company I used to love but that seems to be wasting my money lately. I hope USAA will fix this problem but I wish I knew who to talk to. I witness the waste every morning when a senior manager named Burks eats breakfast at my expense. He charges his morning breakfasts to a USAA company credit card. I am a USAA customer, work as a waitress and my husband is in the Air Force so we don’t make a lot of money. Almost every day I have to watch Burks buy himself and his friends breakfast using his company card. Here is my issue: Im sure he makes a lot of money and the company building is right around the corner and it is large! There must be plenty of places for him to meet and eat but he always comes to Jims and always uses the company card. USAA pays well and just publicized a big bonus for the San Antonio employees. Good for them but I have enough problems paying my USAA bills without having to wait on one of their managers running up a corporate credit card bill for breakfasts THAT I HAVE TO PAY FOR. Can someone tell me if this is corporate abuse, and how to stop it?

I would say that this is "None Of Your Business".If you and Your husband does not have a lot of "MONEY",Whose faulty is that?You cannot place "Blame on Management.Every large company has a "Business Credit Card" Where have you been under a "Rock".People like yourself is alway's trying to find "Fault".Think about this.If this person did not come into this business to eat and Other's like him,You probably would not have a "Job to earn the "Small amount of Money that you EARN."USAA DOES NOT HAVE TO WATCH THEIR BIG WHIGS,THEY HAVE YOU.***.

Just because he is using a USAA credit card doesn't mean USAA is financing the meal. I'm a Controller for a large Shared Service organization and we issue plenty of company credit cards that are individually billed and paid. Who is to say the person using his company credit card isn't settling his own bill? We also issue a few company bill and paid cards and each transaction is scrutinized requiring receipts support and justification. I have very little doubt USAA has the same internal controls.

I'd suggest folks not jump to conclusions when they have such little information.

You need to find out what he does for USAA before you make a complaint. If the employee is considered out on the road then they have every right to use the corporate card.

By the way the credit card statement is verified every month with receipts and if it can't be verified you have to pay it back.

So I wouldn't worry about theft. :)

Thought USAA had better control for upper tier than this - very disappointed!!! Eat at home or on your own dime.

Us service men and women are having hard times. Kind of makes me sick!

USAA is member owned? This Burky guy can eat on his own dime?

Breakfast is cheap and with USAA so close? This is what happens when you move to far up the food chain! Working lunches maybe.. ...sometimes.....of course when out of town but right beside the work place.

This is just really theft! If this guy is high enough up nothing up will happen and he will keep eating at Jim's with his buddies on the members dimes. Our rates will go up but hey his gut will be full while we pay for our own breakfast while on our jobs in the reality world. Serve him extra grease and handle it that way!

Wait I bet he hits the gym on work hours also? I'd like to see the credit card ethic rules!,,,,,,,,,,,,, :(

@PissedConsumer618230

same as m.02. U know how i feel!!!!

Sounds like you are mad at your bills and the fact that you owe them. This guy has obviously earned his spot and those card transactions get reviewed so I am sure if it is a USAA company credit card that he is approved to use it or has a personal limit on it.

You are not paying the corporate credit card bill, you are paying your bills that you owe USAA for service. You don't want anyone else coming into your home and telling you how to spend your extra money so why butt-in on others business.

@PissedConsumer617769

I am mad at my bills! And some of them are usaa bills! I am not a complainer but dont enjoy seeing a millionaire charge me for daily breakfast.

I used to work at USAA, I don't think they would want a manager to use USAA money for daily meals. I would write to the CEO Joe Robles and their ethics section if you can get their addresses.

They pride themselves on being very ethical and supporting the military.

@PissedConsumer617051

I may write them I have a friend who works there on the phone and can tell me how to complain to them but my manager loves the extra money we get and wouldnt be happy about me saying something. we are down the road from their big building.

View more comments (10)
San Antonio, Texas

USAA destroys credit

I opened a credit card account with USAA. They set up email notifications for payment. They never sent an email until the account was overdue. That pissed me off so I called up to cancel the card, but a representative talked me into keeping it and walked me through setting up auto-pay through my bank and setting up automatic notifications. They didn't draft my account and never sent me any notifications until the card was overdue again. All the setup had disappeared from my account-twice. They are either incompetent or doing this on purpose to get late fees and interest on their card accounts. Either way it is unacceptable for a bank. This time I cancelled the card. The reps were polite, but who cares if they destroy your credit.

Keep an eye on your *** accounts. *** happens.

You don't have five minutes to go to usaa.com and see if the automatic payment is set to go through a few days before it is being sent?

As for that "100 dollars" they took from you...bet it was late fees.

***.

Obviously Jah-CKASS works for USAA ... just a comment to put the company spin back into the mix. :p

Wow, you're right, I am responsible for my own financial well-being. That's why I will no longer deal with an institution that does not honor its end of the bargain.

Perhaps I didn't make it clear that I twice set up automatic notifications and they did not work. I also set up auto-pay and that didn't work. I have two other credit cards that are set up that way and they have never failed in 15 years. I simply can't afford to deal with incompetence in a financial institution.

Their multiple failures on one account destroyed my confidence that they would ever get things right. Oh, by the way, an update: When I closed the account, I payed online and they drafted $100 more than I owed (or agreed to have drafed)!

So I called them and asked for that to be reimbursed and am now waiting. If they never send it I guess I'll chalk it up to tuition for a hard lesson.

Shouldn't you be responsible for knowing when the due date is on your card regardless if you set up reminders? I know the due date on every single card or loan I have and I even have payment notifications that come every month.

You are responsible for your own financial well being, not the bank.

Stop blaming everyone else. I've been a member of USAA for years and have never had a problem with them.

View more comments (3)
Logan, Utah

The past year USAA Customer service has went down

I have been with USAA for 6 years and the first five were great. But this last year USAA has went down on customer service. I have applied for 4 loans and be declinded all 4 times from USAA but the three that were turned down by USAA was approved by Service One. USAA states it knows what it means to serve but they can not prove it by me. I think they need to do a consumer check and see the difference they are doing wrong. I have since left USAA and taken my business else where. I think USAA has done nothing more than use the thinking it is all about the money not the customer. Because after I got a decline of credit from them they call and the rep stated that they have to watch out for their interest. And that all late payments that were made two years ago on closed account also was used to base their decission. Tell me what would you do after that and another bank stated we can help. USAA will lose more and more customers and then what is their intrest going to be like.

Who Know, apparently you can't read.If I had your address I'd send you one of my financial calculators since you apparently don't know how to count. Thanks to Veronica for pointing out your error,

Dear TONYINSATX, it is obvious that USAA is now more than happy to take on higher risk clients. Most unfortunate.

They have instantly lowered themselves below the likes of Allstate and State Farm in Florida. They have increased the premiums by 12% to their loyal customers to finance this latest expansion.

Chris

Opps:) I meant January 6, 2009.

To: "Who know"

You need to learn how to read the date. The first post was made on January 1, 2009.

tony you are wise to reply to a 3 year old post maybe he is still reading this.

I was just reading your complaint and just had to comment, given the recession that we're in. It sounds like turning you down was the right thing for USAA to do.

Late payments are a sign of financial stress and/or financial irresponsibility and they factor into one's credit score. Also banks that had loose lending standards made loans to folks who ended up having financial stress and/or were financially irresponsible and that is mainly what has caused the recession that we're in. The majority of those folks defaults on their loans or couldnt keep up w/payments causing the issue. If they had never been approved this would not have happened.

The banks that approve loans to folks that are irresponsible are just giving them rope to hang themselves with. I've been turned down for loans before as well, but if that hadn't happened I'd be up to my eyeballs in debt now. Thank God I'm not and my family is ok.The only times one should take out a loan is 1) when buying a home and 2) MAYBE taking one out to pay for college. Everythingelse should be paid via CASH.

Personally I'm happy that some companies like USAA choose NOT to take higher risk.

Can you imagine what would happened if EVERY bank approved most loan apps and THEN the defaults happened? We would not be in a recession, we'd be in GREAT DEPRESSION II!

View more comments (5)