90 views
Verified Reviewer

Original review updated by user Feb 03, 2021

USAA has bilked my 75 year old mother out of $50,000 by refusing to cover a mold issue that has been proven to be directly related to a previous water incident at her condominium.

Two years ago a pipe burst in a wall. It flooded her condo and all the flooring had to be replaced.

USAA did cover this obvious claim but the repair work was apparently completed without allowing the sub-floor to dry completely. Fast forward to last fall, my mother had been sick for months with respiratory issues, headaches, dizziness, etc. The doctors could not figure out what the cause was. Then, of course, when COVID hit they kept testing her for that but she was always negative.

Finally she has someone come in and inspect her condo inside and out and found serious black mold.

It certainly was not there when she bought it and it certainly was not there when she had the floor replaced. A "mold expert" and plumber both inspected and agreed the previous water issue was to blame.

So USAA proceeds to treat my 75 year old, sick, mother like dirt. Never answers the phone, assigns some useless adjuster who is impossible to get in touch with and basically could not care less about her circumstance. This after my deceased father and mother have been loyal USAA customers for over 50 years.

So my mother has to bunk with a relative for 6 months while USAA ignores and fights her every step of the way as she tries to get her condo repaired and the mold remediated.

Finally she starts paying for the repairs out of her pocket as she cannot just be homeless indefinitely.

And USAA's, final response? Sorry, not our problem. You got mold because you live in SC near the ocean. Go away and stop bothering us old lady.

We don't care we are destroying your retirement, or your health, (which improved completely once she was out of the moldy condo, of course!)

Now six months later she has moved back in, no mold, out $50,000, and still trying to get anyone at USAA to actually review her issue with an honest eye. But alas I hear this is a very common problem with USAA nowadays. Their new CEO looks at the bottom line and does not give a rat's *** about actually living up to their commitments to their customers anymore.

Perhaps he should think about cutting back his advertising budget, (you can't turn on the TV anymore without seeing an ad extolling USAA's commitment to military veteran's and families), and actually live up to this imagined commitment to their customers who come to them in time of need and expect them to do their job.

We are consulting an attorney now to see what our options are. And what else really scares me?

My wife and I are also lifelong USAA members.

What might be in store for us as we grow older? Guess we have some decisions to make.

User's recommendation: Avoid USAA Insurance. They are not what they used to be.

Product or Service Mentioned: Usaa Property Insurance.

Preferred solution: Deliver product or service ordered.

USAA Pros: Affordable rates and good reputation as a reputable company.

USAA Cons: Horrible customer service, Do not live up to their commitment to veterans and families.

Comments