My one-year experience with USAA turned out to be vastly different than what they depict in their touchy-feely ads. Their call-management system is a vast wasteland of confusing terminology and dead-end prompts. While I have encountered a few of their customer service agents who who were pleasant and accommodating, most have been officious to the point of being gruff.

I had a (Navy Federal) credit card that expired, and so a payment was bounced. Their system did not send out an advisory eMail nor generate a phone call. They simply posted a message on my account (apparently, they believe that real people have the time to check messages on their insurance providers web-site on a daily basis ) and cancelled my insurance. They also charged me a late fee.

When I became aware of the problem and responded with updated credit card information, they insisted that I had to re-apply for a policy and then used the occasion to quadruple my rate.

Please note that their response to most of the comments and complaints here is "we need a case number." What a load! They have a dozen different ways to search their databases--which contains your credit reports, medical information, and vast amounts of information about you and your family now shared among insurers. They can find you.

Remember, this is a privately owned for-profit corporation whose sole objective is to get as much money out of you as possible. Their only commitment to military families is that an actuarial figured out that military families file fewer claims.

I've learned my lesson and am going back to GEICO--who served me well for 20 years.

Comments

Bogus post, wrong on several counts.