2.7
Interest Rate

In late June a major power surge destroyed all of the major appliances in my apartment complex.I was without a stove, fridge, washing machine, dryer, and AIR CONDITIONER for over a month.

Consequently, I lost many belongings (smaller appliances, furniture, food, clothing, etc.) to rising damp, mold, water damage, and rust. My unit also eventually succumbed to vermin, namely, swarms of ants, spiders, and black moths. I soldiered on, confident that when the time came, USAA's reputation for fairness would see me right. In early August I submitted my renter's insurance claim, consisting of a 12 page report, complete with pictures detailing my ordeal.

Unfortunately, It's been summarily dismissed on the absurd grounds that "the source of the water damage cannot be proven". Words can't convey the agony of inadequate facilities during the hottest, most humid time of the year. Nor can they describe the life changing effects on my health and quality of life. What's ultimately most devastating however, is not being able to count on the help and understanding of a brand that so publicly vaunts a legacy of heroism and customer satisfaction in times of crisis.

I'm upset, and deeply saddened. I don't mourn merely for the things I've worked hard for, but also for the trust I've lost in what I believed to be one of the last decent companies in the nation.

If you're planning on insuring your property with USAA, DON'T.I for one will definitely be pursuing alternatives...just as soon as I heal from this ruinous situation.

Review about: Usaa Renters Policy Claim.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Unreliable, Spotty customer service.

Had an Experience with Usaa?

Comments

h.kitchener

I assume USAA is thinking that because you had only renter's insurance and somewhere you mentioned "water" they were not liable---the thinking being water=flood and your "flood" insurance covers that---which you didn't have.That's a separate kind of insurance sold by other companies.

If the damage costs are high enough, your option now is to 1.

appeal their denial---look at your policy for how to do so and/or hire an attorney to help you.Just because you pay for insurance doesn't mean insurance companies like to actually pay for damages when something happens, don't you know?