USAA Reviews

Show reviews that mention
insurance service customer customer service money account car bank claim phone
Filter review

They dropped me

i opened a checking account with usaa. my wife was visiting her mother out of the country and asked my to send her some money. after 2 transactions they closed the account. when i called to find out why, all they told me was they have a right to close any account and that it was just a business decision to close it. this was the only explanation i got from them. this was after having the account for only 2 weeks. i was told the remaining funds from the account would be sent to me within 14 days and that was it.
New Orleans, Louisiana
Product
Usaa Account

USAA Mortgage Department

USAA is terrible!!! If you have to deal with them for a mortgage, don't! The mortgage processor and the underwriters act as if it's their money. They don't not return calls, emails and so you never know what's going on. We were constantly asked to send them documents that they said they received. I believe the mortgage processor kept our file on his desk and didn't do anything with it for days. The gov't needs to step in and stop the military soldiers and veterans from using this bogus company that is screwing the service members and their families. Had I seen all the complaints that I've seen in the last week about USAA, I would have never dealt with them!

After playing the usaa game, jumping through hoops trying to get all the letters they wanted they always needed something else. They said that my husbands employment letter wasnt "professional enough".

They wanted my doctor to write a letter stating that my SSDi payments were going to continue for three years. We got so fed up that we told them we were going to take our money elsewhere.

They refused to refund my $300 deposit, then 3 weeks later I get a letter in the mail stating that our loan was denied. WTF, I fired them, they didnt deny me.

Seriously? I thought this was a promising buy mortgage leads company but looks like they are in deep mortgage problems themselves.

Geez. It\'s getting harder to trust any refinancing entity these days.

Seriously? I thought this was a promising

Geez. It's getting harder to trust any refinancing entity these days.

Geeze, I am sure glad I am researched USAA for reviews. I saw the USAA website and it is very inviting.

But now I can see what a mistake it would be to go to our local office. Looks high tech etc. I thought the Navy Federal was bad, but wow! I hate hearing employees being treated badly.

It all goes down hill. I have no idea where we can get a VA Loan without being treated like garbage... life is stressful enough. HELP where can we go????

who can we trust?

NO one? yikes

Hi everyone :-) The mortgage department at USAA is in full Processing work slow down mode for the nexr few months. WE ARE SICK AND TIRED OF YOU *** MEMBERS *** AND CRYING ALL THE TIME! USAA MORTGAGE MANAGEMENT TREATS US PROCESSORS LIKE *** AND NO *** OF COURSE WE ARE GOING TO DELETE THE *** OUT OF THE DOCS YOU SEND US AND NO WE ARE NOT GOING TO BOW DOWN TO YOU AND RETURN YOUR DUNMB CALLS!!

#520726

Response to "Princess3"- Yes, you care correct in your assumptions about your processor. I am also a Processor on the mortgage side and I can tell you that our case loads are way way way too huge to handle!

I hate to admit this, but we have no choice but to make "documents disappear". We are not malicious people, but it is so bad on the processing floor that we constantly delete our emails and incoming electronic faxes every few hours.

USAA Management is incompetent and does not know how to staff accordingly! Sorry and enjoy your *** lifetime pension at age 39 and think of us with *** for retirement

View more comments (5)
Washington, District Of Columbia
Usaa Mortgage
Loss
In late April, USAA closed our business account by mistake. Sounds incredible, but it is absolutely true. In February, USAA Bank had sent us a form to complete about foreign ownership. We completed the form, faxed it to USAA, and thought all was well. In March we...

No need to be a private author. I have been a USAA member for 19 years.

I have had been using banking for over 6 years. I was on my last check book thursday september 8, when I was buying a new car. I asked my wife to order me some new checks since after 6 years we ran out. USAA thought we were running a business in a personal account due to the high amount of the checks and closed it friday.

without notifiying me other than a letter in the mail. all the other checks I had written that week. of course bounced. making me a common criminal that they say they have zero liability for.

If I have the money in may checking account why can I not write a check for WTF I want. It *** me off to see commercials on Sunday during football talking about how they Stand by you.

At the end of the day. I wont bank with anyone I cannot go in and sit down in their office.

USAA pays their reps 10 dollars an hour to deal with 100 an hour questions. Go *** yourself USAA as I await a call from a manager or CEO.

View more comments
Lebanon, Missouri
Product
Usaa Deposit
Reason of review
Poor customer service
Junior Reviewer

USAA

I was in a car accident in Feb - a hit and run, but my husband parked the car and tracked down the girl who hit our vehicle. i have been in pain for several months and diagnosed with whiplash. The girl's insurance co sent an appraiser several months after the accident to assess my car. Mr. Pratt who must be trained to deny all claims saw the damages, but sent a letter saying nothing could be done. USAA said we should've called the police to report it. At any rate, with all the pain and suffering, the company came back and said that the girl who hit our car was apparently read-ended too. (Yeah, right). I have been in treatment for a while now for neck and arm pain and experiencing migraines for the first time in my life. It's too bad that this company isn't doing what's ethically right. I have lost work and have had an MRI done saying three of discs in my neck are affected...But I am sure none of that matters to these insurance companies. People, ALWAYS call the police, even if the air bag doesn't' blow up in your face. That's the lesson here.
Louisville, Kentucky

USAA is awful

0 Votes First, back in 2010 when my husband was deployed, I received no less than 5 phone calls in the same day from USAA. Each time I was told that my husband would have to have a physical for the extra life insurance policy he took out. When I informed them that that would be impossible since he was deployed, they would yell and get rude with me. It was a very stressful time for me and I didn't not need or ask for that kind of harassment. Now, fast forward to this summer and I've been trying to slowly pay off my credit card. Times have been a bit rough since I have been out of work for a year. When I called to try and work out some payment plan with them, I was transferred from representative to representative and each time getting nothing but judgment and rude comments. And now today, I get another call from them, wondering why I'm having a hard time making payments and more harassment. I will be dropping them like a hot potato
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Junior Reviewer

USAA

I have been a member of USAA's wealth management group for several years and have homeowners and auto insurance in addition to investment, credit card and bank accounts. Recently I had a problem with a credit card which was compromised. I was in Israel but was able to call USAA to cancel the card. The entire episode of cancelling the card took several hours and the replacement card was worthless and came 4 days later. I have taken my horrific experience all the way up the management ladder and was finally told that although USAA was responsible for all the problems encountered, they are not willing to pay for the consequences I suffered. They called my experience an inconvenience. I find the lack of acceptance of responsibility unacceptable. Common sense has not been a part of the conversations I have had with their Assistant VP, Mr. Garcia. I made it very clear that if they did not treat me like they would expect to be treated if this happened to them, then I would take my business elsewhere. That is exactly what I am doing and recommend that you do the same if you are doing business with USAA.
Los Angeles, California
Usaa Auto Insurance
Loss

I should have known better!

I was foolish to work with USAA for a mortgage, despite the fact that I have had at least one prior mortgage with them, one refi of my current mortgage, and about 25 years of being a customer, this was the worst mortgage refinance experience that I have ever had. I have good credit, investments, retirement accounts, etc, etc. While USAA makes the application process easy, their handling of the application, (after they have taken your application fee) is bumbling, slow, frustrating and ultimately resulted in our giving up on the process, sacrificing the application fee, and working with a local bank instead. Throughout the process they hid behind the "the government made me do it" excuse to explain the delays and my frustration. My Advice. DONT APPLY!

Based on the lack of reaction, it does not appear that anyone is having the same problem. Must be my cologne.

USAA never budged.

I cancelled everything with them at a cost of 350.00 and I went with a local bank, which has closed the whole shooting match in less than 30 days. Wow.

USAA never budged.

View more comments (1)
Oak Forest, Illinois
Usaa Refinance

*** service

I received a auto cancellation letter the day after the policy expired and USAA said too bad. I also had a homeowners policy in which i filed a claim which was denied based on faulty workmanship to the roof, the problem is they never sent an adjuster out, they denied the claim based on an unlicensed roofer who even looked at the damage to the interior rooms but never took any room measurements. This showed me that they intended to denied the claim regardless. Being a veteran i thought they would be a better insurance company. In my opinion they could care less about veterans.

First, your auto insurance. We send no less than 2 letters, 2 emails and at LEAST one phone call before we cancel your auto for non payment. Plus we go 60 days+ past due when that happens.

So you knew you weren't paying your bill and you were ignoring us when we contacted you. We cancelled because you hadn't paid in over two months. Stop crying. Pay your bill and we will STILL re-insure you.

Second, I bet a lot more went on than you saw. Ask for copies of documents before crying.

Third, we love the military and Veterans. This doesn't mean you get special treatment. 99% of employees here do their very best to be as helpful as possible at all times.

I went to an attorney and I have filed a law suit for bad faith.

You have two years to reopen a claim. Hire a public adjuster to prepare an estimate an send it to USAA.

They have to send out a licensed independent adjuster to look at the damage. It is the law.

If you need help you can contact me at ErikTheAdjuster@***.com. I have a Texas license and can handle this for you.

View more comments (2)
Kingwood, Texas

USAA insurance

Greetings, I was deployed to Iraq in 2006 and was permately combat injured March 22nd 2007 in Iraq be an explosive device. I was in medical hold at Fort hood Texas then moved to Keesler/ Sonny Montgomery Medical Center and the admitted to Martin Army Community Hospital at Fort Benning for rehab and other therapy. Was med retired by the Army 100% disabled. During the time period from my deployment to present my home and other structers were damaged by wind, hail, and water. I had payed faithfully all my premiums. I have spent my life savings of over $65,000.00 for repairs and USAA has been really been absent for taking care of this soldier and his immediate needs. I have been home for one year and six months. I have had to file a chaper 13 protection because they have been dragging thier feet since last summer of 2011. Policey number 01963****/92A. I also believe they also have commited advertizing fruad saying they take care of military and should cease from riding on our coat tails. They are in violation of the disabilities act statute #508 and #504 pretty sure due to my situation and disabilities. They were fully informed of my disabilities in 2008 and 2009 and 2010 and 2011. I have some folks helping me with donations and food. Please help. Signed ??*********** Union Grove Alabama

Whited didn't get blown up. He's a malingering fraud

Wow. Good to know the people serving this country have no idea how to spell or use correct grammar. Stop complaining about the fact that life happens and you have to pay for things like a normal person.

I forgot to mention that USAA also paid for all of the damage to her furniture, etc. NOTHING was turned down.

We, too have been with USAA for MANY years. A couple of years ago my daughter's apartment flooded...her fault, there was something hanging from the automatic sprinkler pipe, she tried removing it and the pipe burst.

The entire apartment had to be redone...and it was a 'luxury unit', so very expensive. USAA paid all expenses, PLUS moving expenses to another apartment in the same complex. The apartment management was totally satisfied with USAA payments, etc. (She now owns her own condo, we both have our homeowners insurance through them, as well as our car insurance.

(We BOTH got our first car policies when we turned 16. We got a discount immediately for being good students.

And, we both got our memberships from my father, who retired from the Air Force. Back then you had to be an officer to qualify for membership, but the legacy part is a lifesaver, IMHO.

They once had a good reputation. My recent experience with their auto claims was horrendous. They bordered on criminal.

I'm a former insurance agency owner and I know the business. ABSOLUTE ***!

STAY AWAY!

Where do I start? For many years USAA was superb, then changed. First, their once-a-member, always a member ceased, I learned, with my new-officer son's policy.

A careless neighbor backed into my (stopped) wife's car. Cost us $500 deductible b/c USAA did not follow up with questions with the at-fault driver, saying the two insurance companies agreed to disagree on fault.

Their lifetime guarantee ceased. I had over 15 listed problems with my car, after their preferred shop 'fixed' it; a no-fault accident from a speeding red-light runner. The paint was the wrong color; spots in the finish of different hue; electrical items didn't work, etc. The car spent weeks at a specialist shop after sitting outside with the windows open. I witnessed their shop's employees doing burnouts with a customer's Mustang, while moving that car indoors.

Then, the paint started chipping off, due, according to a real professional painter, to improper prep work. The USAA adjuster walked up, thanking me for forty years of membership and remarked about how nice I kept my cars, but his report called it average, then lied saying it was flaking clear coat (the chips were white, like the car!) They offered me $700 to go away; the previous repaint of that same part cost well over $1000 and refused to back their warranty, saying they had no record of the repair. I did and still do.

Also, the prior-USAA adjuster was now managing the (Prestige Auto) body shop, and refused to warranty their shoddy work. How cozy and unethical is that for USAA?

Their current need to advertise underscores their new lack of customer service; the patriotic baloney is sickening and offensive to those of us who served and once trusted the former officers who run USAA.

I cancelled 7 policies and cashed my $10k SSA check with glee, then saved premium money with GEICO.

Forty years of membership meant nothing to USAA. Loyalty goes two ways, IF real.

Beware you loyal, longtime USAA folks; things are rotten in San Antonio, unlike before. I was 'you', once, since my Academy days.

I've been a USAA member for 22 years dating back to when they only allowed officers and warrants to join. I've had 6 claims over that span and they handled each one flawlessly.

Kudos USAA.. :) :)

I am surprised to hear this. I have had many claims with USAA over the years (and so have my family) and we have NEVER, NOT ONCE had an issue out of them.

There was one time I thought they had lost some paperwork, but we got the problem taken care of quickly. Years later I came across the paperwork, I had by accident filed it away in a filing cabinet. So it was my fault all along.

Love USAA and will never go anywhere else. Even if we are paying a little bit more (which we aren't) I would still rather have them then going cheap.

Their customer service is over the top.

Wish more places were like that.

Oh and I don't work for them, never have, nor do I know anybody that works/worked there.

@PissedConsumer523789

It seems to be either one or another. I know I had family members that had excellent claims service on one claim and had to sue USAA on the next one to get it processed and paid. USAA's lawyers wouldn't even return calls to my family member's lawyers. It was to the point the Judge in the case sanctioned the USAA attorneys for their behavior.

All in all, I used to LOVE the service I got from USAA. The last few years...service in all of their areas is declining and I'm most likely soon going to be yanking my accounts from them.

I have been with USAA since 1961 and I have nothing but praise for them. I have often said that they could give customer service lessons in how things SHOULD be done.

I have used them for both home and auto and find it hard to believe they would drop the ball that much. I agree with Ruth on the "red flag" part.

View more comments (16)
Vineland, New Jersey

USAA doesn't help if Government is involved

What has happend to USAA? In the past year USAA has washed their hands twice when a Government was at fault. Last year a Austin Parks Vehicle ejected rocks denting my two week old car. the employee to me and his boss it was his fault. USAA would not handle the claim unless I filed against comprehensive and paid 500 otherwise I had to work directly with the City of Austin Law dept directly. They would not help... The City of Austin put so many barriers in place it became counter productive to even file the minor claim. Guilty until proven inoccent Recently a Postal truck hit my 74 year old mothers car parked in front of the house. They admitted guilt since the car was parked and no one was in it. Again USAA washed their hands of the process, they required a 74 year old Grandmother to take on the USPS. Well she did and they issued the check all be it to the wrong person. Upon taking the car in additional damage was found and they have underpaid. Hence they were under insured and require the entire process be done again. With most insurance companies they pay the body shop for any overage but not the US government. USAA says they are the government and "cannot be under insured" Again washing their hands of situation saying if we had elected to pay more for our insurance it would not be a problem. Collision, Comprehensive, not deductable. What has become of an organization that was developed to protect the USAs millitary men and their families? Have they become just another insurance company? I have spent the last twenty five years with them paying more than I should have because I felt they would take care of me when I needed them. Well it appears they are no better than anyone else and they wash their hands when you really need to be defended.
Georgetown, Texas
$2000

USAA SUX HORRIBL CUSTOMER CARE

PayPal sent several charges to my Savings account; I didn't authorize PayPal to do any withdrawals to my account. Nor do I have PayPal. I have called USAA Customer Care, and it's always a new excuse on how they basically can't help me nor do they sound like they care. I have been told to call Wells Fargo, who does the merchant service for PayPal. Then I have been told to contact PayPal, I have contacted PayPal and Wells Fargo Merchant Services several times. PayPal has transferred me to account limitations and the representative there has said the account doesn't match my address or my email address but my savings account information, is on there. PayPal reps advised me to call my bank which is USAA and have USAA file a Dispute or stolen account. I have called USAA and never get any help just call somebody else. Now they have close my saving account, and wrote it off. I have to still pay it back and it is more and likely going to go on my Chex System or credit report. Which is not right, since I didn't authorize any charges from PayPal? I have done everything I can and more, with no help from a Horrible Horrible want to be bank called USAA.
Cincinnati, Ohio

USAA Federal Savings Bank

They seemed really eager to refinance my VA loan, and take my $350 for a good faith estimate without letting me know it was unrefundable if the appraisal wasn't favorable. Just like I didn't have the $17,000 they wanted to close the loan since the market value in our area wasn't good enough, I didn't have $350 for them to steal. They claim the appraisal probably cost more than $350. I guess we both got ripped, because he wasn't here 20 minutes for the quick job he did. They're just like the other banks.
Phoenix, Arizona
Usaa Refinance

USAA turned their backs USAA USAA USAA

Been a customer of USAA since 1979. They were great to work with here and abroad. I could not have been happier with my banking situation. Retirement (1995) was seamless and the great service continued till 2010 when I lost my job; no fault of my own, the economy claimed another causality. After being unemployed for 3-4 months I called USAA to let them know and to find out if they could help. OMG you would have though I robbed their bank. USAA not only did not help but re-affirmed they expected full payment on everything every month - no exceptions. I have been able to continue payments on my house, car and insurance for both. But I could not handle the AMX payment and asked for help; more than once. No sir, we can not help you...'make your payments'. Asked for advice how to do this with out a job; can not remember the answer but I remember feeling alone and betrayed. Between Feb 2010 and as of last week I have tried to work something out with USAA, but NO HELP, just advise. A customer in good standing since 1979, never late on a payment of any kind, in a bind and USAA turned their back on me. The reason I have stayed with them this long is because I can remember when customer service was great. They now treat me poorly, transferred phone calls between USAA employees each giving me the run around. I have asked for their help more than once but not once have they made any effort to help other that to advise me to make my payments. Oh...did I mention my wife left me while I was in Iraq 2007 - **** (contractor in Taji) and I now pay her spousal support, i.e., part of my retirement. I tried to factor this into my situation but again advised to make my payments. ONE LAST TRY...I am going to their Colorado Springs office and meet face to face with them and try and sort this out. That is a one day drive to do something I could have done over the phone before I lost my job. If this does not work out and they continue with this 'we do not care you do not have a job, make your payments' attitude I will move on to another bank. I have done nothing to deserve this disrespect. I had a hard go of it for a year but now have a job again. This is another reason I have tried to reach-out to them so I can make the 'pot right' with them. No help and just in the past couple months they turned my AMX account to collections - remember I have stayed up with my house, car and insurance payment. Loyalty seems to be going one way - me to USAA...but not for much longer is they continue to disrespect me. USAA - this is a 2 minute warning. What are you going to do? Start walking your talk..... or I will walk away.

Since you are driving to the Springs can I assume you currently reside in Colorado? If that is true and if they have in fact placed your account into collections, check to see if they sent you a 30, 60, 90 day notice of your past due debt AND per Colorado law a registered letter stating your account is now in collections.

If you are in collections and did not receive that registered letter you can dispute the validity of debt with agencies who will remove the entry due to no proof.

This is not legal/financial advise and non payment on collections may result in loss of the ability to use the USAA.com website as well as receive credit from them again.

Socorro, New Mexico
Usaa Banking Service

They completely lack the ability to use brains and logic

I called to get a quote on home owners insurance. We went into the area of if we do any farm business. I said that we had several years ago but sold that business. We were not allowed to get home owners insurance. Just denied coverage because we used to sell a few eggs at the front door. What a bunch of absolute *** I'm not farming any more and would be willing to sign a document that states such. I live on just 2 acres so no *real* farming could go on anyway. They said they can't cover me because "You have the potential to farm on that property sometime in the future". I was flabbergasted. You mean anyone that has property with dirt can't get covered then right? I guess you can only sell condo coverage then by that logic.

Sir, Are you a veteran? This insurance company is normally just for vets and their families.

We have insurance from car, property and life with them.

They could not be better, or more helpful. Maybe you unfortunatly were speaking with a not so informed customer service rep.We all experience that with any company we call.

I'm sorry for you that your having problems with your insurance, but maybe before calling a company a bunch of "morans" maybe you should do your homework, before putting a whole company down, just because you had one bad experience. And do let me add if you are a vet since this insurance company is meant for that, I do Thank You for your service.

I really don't understand what's going on. Mainly because everytime I call to get an answer, all I get is 'your account is under review' - no one can tell me anything!

It started with my Dad applying for a loan - I was calling on his behalf to find out status - and that's all they tell us. It's still under review. It's been 2 weeks.

Now, my own accounts have been restricted! All they can say is they are under review.

What does this mean? Why can't they give a straight answer or let me speak with someone who can help?

I will NEVER use thema gain, and will always speak poorly of them and their employees. Only 1 young man was helpful 1 out of about 10 or 15 that I have spoken with in the last 2 weeks!

Never have I been made to feel like I did something wrong - when I didn't!!!

View more comments (1)
ID
#322083 Review #322083 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Newcastle, California
Usaa Homeowners Insurance
Mandated that a home inspection be done after 3 years of providing home owner' s insurance and informed me that if they found anything wrong with my house that is 90 years old that they can request it be repaired or they will cancel my insurance. They will cancel...

We just received that same letter. Time to say goodbye to usaa!! My house is only 2 years old!!

View more comments
ID
#321969 Review #321969 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Purchase, New York