USAA Reviews

Show reviews that mention
insurance service customer customer service money account car bank claim phone
Filter review

Bank fee's

I am in the military and bank with USAA. I have been with USAA for many years but this bank is a fraud. There have been several bank fees applied to my account over the years and I have lost thousands of dollars to this worthless bank. I recently lost. $83.00 in bank fees because USAA manipulates the transactions in you account. I check my account daily and always notice their are always missing transactions in the account and the funds suddenly appear or disappear. I have spoken to several customer service reps and the always deny the system is flawed. If you have autodrafts set up with USAA make sure plenty of funds are avalible to cover it or you will be hit with NSF fee of $29.00 for each one even if you make a deposit the buisness day before to cover the transaction. It is USAA practice to put a hold on your deposit even if it is a cash deposit. This is a scam for USAA because they control when your deposit is posted and any transactions pending will be returned NSF and $29.00 fees are assessed and the bank just steals your money. VETERANS AND MILITARY BEWARE!!!!!!!!!!

USAA and most other banks won,t make deposits avalible because all transactions go threw the federal reserve. If you have this type of issue with your bank I suggest banking with a credit union.

Most credit unions are Federally insured and they can be a little more flexible with bank fees and transactions.

Laziness has nothing to do with it. Banks have certain practices and policies that are implemented on their members for profit and gain.

This is nothing but laziness and bad banking on your part. You should always make sure you have money in your account to cover any automatic payments and never rely on a bank transaction to go through the day that your payments are to post.

@PissedConsumer617767

You must work for USAA

San Antonio, Texas
Usaa Checking Account
$2000

Post-bankruptcy members can no longer use DEPOSIT AT MOBILE app feature

So USAA first punishes its members who have filed bankruptcy (even those who have not have any USAA debt discharged) by NOT ALLOWING THEM TO USE THEIR ONLINE BANKING from a PC. Now AS OF JAN. 25, 2013 members are punished further by NOT BEING ALLOWED TO DEPOSIT CHECKS VIA MOBILE APP (phone or tablet). DOES THIS MAKE ANY SENSE AT ALL? Punish me by making it extra difficult for me to track my spending, pay my bills and deposit checks. THIS MAKES SO MUCH SENSE. USAA has always been wonderful in my opinion, and I have bragged about being a member for the past decade, BUT NO MORE. I am done referring people, and I am done bragging. THEY TREAT THEIR MEMBERS LIKE 2ND CLASS CITIZENS...COMMON CRIMINALS. I asked an executive rep "Why" and although she was very kind over the phone, this is basically what she said. "USAA DID A RISK ANALYSIS AND....WE FOUND THERE TO BE SIGNIFICANT RISK...WHICH...FRAUD...." When I heard the word "fraud" come out of her mouth, my mouth dropped to the floor. So, now...because of some "risk analysis" I am now in a pool of members who have the potential to commit fraud. Thanks USAA. Thank you for analyzing all of the members. The honest ones. The not-so-wealthy ones. Thanks for making us all to be criminals (however, I would venture to guess that some high profit businesses or wealthy investors who have claimed bankruptcy have full access to all the bells and whistles USAA's website and apps have to offer. It's just the pee-ons who have to deal with this BS.

I had a similar situation. When I first got out of the Military I was having troubles with my finances, because of this I was always on the phone with them keeping them up on my situation.

All was fine while I was having my problems but two months after I got everything sorted out and back on track with no past dues, in fact I was ahead, they locked me out of all online services, and phone apps, stating I was a risk.

I transferred banks and they at first would not release my funds until I contacted an attorney. For a company that claims that they are here for service members they do a *** poor job and they should be ashamed.

I thought it was just me. I'm going through the same thing.

I had some pay difficulties with their insurance and they practically banned me from using the online site as well. At that time I also had a loan I was paying on from my checking account with them. I could not for the life of me understand why they would restrict my online access when I have a checking account that I need to be able to view the activity on so I could pay on my loan. I went back and forth with them regarding this and I was not able to get any access to see what was in my account except to call them on the phone.

What sense does that make if it is after hours and I need to know what's going on with my account.

Now a few years later, I am currently trying to see if they will give me access so I can see what's going on with my checking account since there is money sitting in there. We shall see what happens.

@PissedConsumer614803

Close your account and find another bank

Usaa Website

USAA Deadbeat Insurance makes me jump through hoops

USAA Deadbeat Insurance makes me jump through hoops
A guy insured by USAA opened his car door into my moving car and did approx $3K damage to my new car. It was unintentional but he admitted it to police. USAA will still not commit to covering the damage. They will not accept a photo unless their repair shop takes it, and still no commitment to pay for the fender and door (which will not open more than 12 inches now). The Police report did not satisfy them even though it states that the guy said he "did not see me" (his way of admitting that it happened but was unintentional). This is the worst experience with an insurance company that I have ever had. Geico insures me but I don't think they should have to pay for damage done by someone insured by USAA. I have remained cordial and professional with USAA but my patience is running out. Is it time to get an attorney? Enough of USAA!!!!!

Same thing happened to me a guy opened his car door and I was already passing him. He pretended to cell police and he actually was in a no parking , he gave this stupid excuse actually said the police take report over the phone..

I called when I got home doesn't matter if they admit it or not they are responsible.

His insurance company came out to survey my car the guy went back and said I said I admitted it's all my fault , like yeah! Ok I'm trying to get my car fixed why would I even say that, I don't need to lie if it was my fault, then I would admit it CTFU!!

You should go through Geico and let them deal with USAA. Since you aren't at fault they will make sure you are taken care of. I did it the wrong way myself once, which is how I learned.

@PissedConsumer1244682

Yes. I learned this the hard way.

NEVER go through the other persons insirance. Go through yours. Your insurance company has lawyers who do the work for you. I have always had USAA insurance.

A Geico driver hit me. She was drunk and ran a red light. I went through geico (thinking it was their fault their insurance should pay) the insurance adjuster went through various levels of blame against me. He said I was 75 percent culpable bc it was my choice to go at my green light I should have been more aware of the drunk driver barrelling through their red light and chosen not to go.

I called USAA at this point and they said they couldn’t help me bc I had already gone through the other persons insurance. I literally got this geico rep to finally pay for my claim out of pity. Point being. It seems to me EVERY insurance company will try to screw the person who doesn’t pay their bills.

Not that USAA is perfect. I’m just giving advice for people in the future.

Go through your own insurance! Every time!

You should file through Geico, they will fix your car and collect from other company. Either way it will show up as a claim because all companies share data.

Yes, I'm with you!

They refuse to pay for 100% of damages caused by their client even with police reports. They will just use after market parts to fix your car and give you all the *** explanation about their policy. It makes you like a bad guy trying to rob them. All I can say is that USAA auto claim people are CHEATERS and DISHONEST CHEAP!!

Yes, I'm being robbed too!

10,000 Guaranteed Approval Personal Loans For Bad Credit. Guaranteed approval personal loans for bad credit for personal with poor credit scores, the chances of recovering from bad economic situations are improved.

Don’t give up hope of getting finance even with poor credit score as there are the lenders of bad credit loans available online.

View more comments (6)
Loss
I transferred money from another account to USAA because of the fees I was getting charged from the other bank. I went through the entire online process to open an account and received an email stating I would have access to the account in 24 hours. Three days later, I...

That is total BS. I'm getting fed up with USAA.

They were great until I filed bankruptcy, then all I could get was the mobile version of the website. Now they changed their policy and I can't even deposit a check through mobile. WTF? They think I'm going to try to deposit a bogus check or something.

As for your situation they really have you by the balls.

I wouldn't send a copy of my SS card ever.

I usually won't even let doctors or employers take a photocopy. :(

Usaa Banking Service
I was about to finance my car with a dealership's bank when I called USAA to see how much my premium would go up. At the time I was quoted for $173 a month for my and my wife's car which would have been great. On top of that, they offered me a better financing rate...

i always thought they were a good insurance company. they have a program (you may need to ask about it) but it will pay your entire loan off it you total your vehicle.

Doesn't matter if you get upside down. We used it. We've been with them for 26yrs. At one point I did change to Geico because they were too high.

Someone said they were haveing to compensate for a lot of losses somewhere, I don't remember, but a year or two down the road I checked back and they were the cheapest you could get. We are on the end of our bankruptcy. We have always used pc to do all our banking online. We don't have mobil phones with apps just a scanner.

We've never heard of anything like that. I don't know. Maybe some peoples situations are different than others. I didn't put them on the bankruptcy and it's taken 6yrs to pay off the 14000 I owed them, but that's the way it goes.

The bankruptcy didn't fix hard times but it did make it easier to get back on our feet, it just took a lot of hard work and discipline.

Good luck to you all.

View more comments
Savannah, Georgia

What happened to USAA!?

Originally a military "officer" insurance company, with good rates and some of the best service in the industry. Eventually became a banking institution--mortgages are very bad (originally PHH mortgage out of NJ-despicable people.)Do NOT get a loan of any kind and then insure with the same company--it will not end well, if you have a claim. Now opened membership to basically, anyone who has ever known anyone in the service, lots more liability to early members, cost of which is in turn passed on to all members! As a result, higher cost for everything they provide and terrible service! Sad example of how greed-driven corporate america does not have to compete anymore for business--they just buy the name or infiltrate and takeover! This is not the USAA of 50 years ago, or 2 years ago--very, very sad!

Forgot...they offered to "help" me get insurance through another company. They claimed the company was A rated and they would act as an agent, so I'd still be billed by USAA.

Well, red flags went right up when I investigated the company. It's only rated A by one agency and not the one that grades most insurance companies. They would have put a ridiculous amount on the policy for rebuilding the home if something happened. In excess of $500,000, but rates and deductibles were based on that figure.

I knew homes could be build in this area for around $120 per square foot because I spoke with a builder.

Then it dawned on me...USAA was dropping me and "helping" me find a new company because they would get a kick-back (which they would probably call a commission). I decided to decline their "help" and found my own insurance.

As a 44 year member (and soon to be an ex-member) I agree with everything you said. This is not the same company...not even close.

Soon they'll be accepting former Cub Scouts and Brownies as members. The membership thing is a joke. All employees are programmed to say, "Thank you for your 44 years as a member." Like most USAA members I was proud when they said that to me. Yes, I was proud to be a USAA member because I trusted and believed in them.

I'm quickly learning after 44 years that it's all a lot of BS. All we are to them are customers and they are no different from other large insurance companies. The only difference is that USAA wraps themselves in the American flag. In looking back I realize I was perfectly content because I actually had very few dealings with them over the years.

I can count on one hand my auto claims (all minor) and on one hand my homeowner claims (no biggies there either). They've made a good deal of money off of me over the years. So, with few dealings I had nothing to complain about. I realize how naive I was when I thought membership in USAA was something special.

I'm moving six miles from where I currently live and they will not issue homeowner's insurance to me because it's a high risk area. (30 miles inland and we had no claims from Hurricane Ike.) So, for the first time in years I had to go with another company. Found out that State Farm issues homeowner's insurance in that area if you've been with them for auto since 2006. Of course, I wasn't because we had auto with USAA since 1969.

I also have a considerable amount of money invested with USAA which I now plan to move. You are nothing special to USAA.

They don't appreciate your business. They're just another big insurance company and I was a *** old fool for believing in them.

USAA does not keep officers in the same category as enlisted individuals. Officer rates are different than what non-officers pay. Opening to more members is not affecting your rate, it is simply allowing more military members and families have membership.

Rochester, Michigan

USAA is a ripoff

I have the same problem, been with USAA a few years. Pay for renters, personal property, 4 cars on insurance. Ira and other investmemts. Made one claim for vandalism, wouldnt pay and the man was a *** they bounce around on what they will pay for towing. Had a claim from a tree falling into my house a few months ago. They did do a payout of $900. I had damage from severe storms recent. Was on television.... Its they need more info, they keep losing the pics, dont pay, etc.... I was tired of styaing in a hotel which they did not pay for either and just threw everything away. In the process of changing insurance carriers. They wouldnt pay for the damaged car that has full ins either. Look at other local policies for about ten bucks more, you get an agent, and more coverage.

My experience with USAA stinks. USAA's insured rear ended and totaled my car.

They offered less than half of the value of the car as settlement, stuck me with auto rental costs (they canceled the rental after two days without informing me)and just about every contact proved a rude and debilitating exercise. What should have been a simple process for the property and medical was anything but. Hey Kevin J.

Bergner we'll see you in court. Look for the subpoena to explain how your Colossus system works.

Stone Mountain, Georgia
Usaa Homeowners Insurance

Failure to respond

Been a USAA customer since 1985 and have seen their customer service plummet downhill in the past two years. How sad for a once great company. You have to go through too many steps to get someone on the phone and god forbid you punch one wrong digit - then you have to dial and start over again. They were supposed to send a clean up company to my home this evening, but acted as if they were doing me a favor. The company they called was over 25 miles away, yet I live in a county of 1 million people with plenty of other companies. Nearly 3 hours later, no one has arrived. I am dumping USAA.
ID
#382019 Review #382019 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Mclean, Virginia

Deceptive

I attempted to refinance a loan and after telling them time and time again of issues which I identified they would not fix the errors. They even went as far as to tell me it was alright to let my homeowners insurance lapse. When the loan didn't go through I was assessed something called 'Forced Insurance" by the orginal mortgage holder. In the end it was evident they were just attempting to push the loan through regardless of the issues which I brought up. They were deceptive and yes, they straight out lied in an attempt to get me to sign the paperwork. They have refused since to even publish a similar review to this on their site. So in addition to being deceptive they are minipulating their outlook by picking and choosing which reviews to put up on their site. Pretty sneaky if you ask me.
ID
#381964 Review #381964 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Vancouver, Washington
Usaa Refinance

Threw me to the dogs

I am a deployed Navy Officer (in Afghanistan), since my account went to collection they (USAA) refuse to talk to me. Instead their agents call and harass my family. They will not issue Home owners insurance....This is how they treat deployed service members?? Since Sept I have sent over $3000 to the past due accounts. The company seems to have not interest in dealing with me, once the jackels are involved. I will be home in 6 months and need to have this in a resolved paying status to keep my secret clearance and pass any employer review of my finances.

OMG.....be serious. The one thing that really *** me off is someone who deploys and then uses that as an excuse for not paying their bills.

Just because you deploy doesnt mean you dont have to pay your bills. Set up automatic payments to where they can draft your account or set up your web bill pay to do it for you. If youre married, your spouse should have done it for you....if you're not, you could have had a power of atty do it for you.

There are a lot of options but you failed to use ANY and then of course blame someone else for your shortcomings.

@PissedConsumer604053

Often times people thank they are better than what they truly are. I too hate to see my fellow service members use deployment as a crutch. I personnally enjoy the low rate USAA gives when deployed.

Sounds frustrating. The thing is that sounds normal.

I mean... If you didn't pay any other type of bill the service would stop. Don't pay cell phone no new service till its paid, same with electric, same with credit cards.

I was late with USAA before as well but they sent me plenty of notices and called me a couple times. I too was deployed, I had everything taken care of before they sent it to and recovery area or creditor area.

Usaa Account

Credit Card with USAA

Its interesting to see the commercials from USAA showing that they truly care about the Soldiers that serve; but yet, when one experiences a major paycut, USAA is impossible to work with on setting up a monthly 'workable' payment plan. What is the Soldier who has gone back to his civilian job and taken a $50,000 pay cut to do with the insurmountable of bills and currently being sued by the ex wife for more child support, and is left with nothing after all is paid off? It's nice to know that USAA kept transferring this Soldier from one customer service rep to another to another and yet to another requiring in order to keep the card in good standing, a payment of $700 NOW must be made; then USAA would see about what can be done for future payments. Its nice to know that they truly work with Soldiers and their families to support them - that is support them by paying USAA's paychecks. Who's benefitting in the end? Definitely not the Soldier who has sacrified but USAA. Well done, USAA, WELL DONE!
Alexandria, Virginia
Loss

USAA would not renew our Homeowner's Insurance after 13 years of membership!

We received notice yesterday that USAA would not renew our homeowner's insurance due a fear of future loss due to our plumbing system. We had two home claims in 13 years which resulted in two small payouts due to damage from a faulty pressure regulator (now fixed). Any other inquiries for information were logged as claims even though there were no payouts. As of today, we have USAA for our auto insurance, mortgage, two IRAs, two Roth IRA's, our son's college fund, two savings accounts, and three auto loans (paid off). To be treated like this is an insult not only to us as a family, but especially to my husband who served as an officer for this country for 14 years. We will be pulling all of our finances (>$300,000)out of USAA's greedy hands. They are unreliable and not who they were 10 years ago.

USAA used to be a special organization. Now, due possibly to leadership egos and salary incentives, it is trying to be a big player.

I hate their use of TV ads--this used to be a word of mouth org within the military.

I've insured with them nearly 40 years and no longer feel they're special--theist competitors have caught up with them--not because others are getting better, but because USAA is ever-diluting the quality of its membership. Return to your roots, USAA...smaller was better.

USAA increased my homeowners over 50%, using information as far back as 2008. i found an attorney and filed an complaint with the State insurance Comm.

i'm getting answers and now know of their illegal practices. The state is asking USAA to adjust my rates over the years. The state legal dept is during a review. Dont let them get away with their robbery.

20 years with this company, i think they don't like the fact we wont increase our deductable. ($500) So, they try and force it. This is why they threat to drop you. I also ask my attorney to request that no matter what the outcome they can't drop me in her inital complaint.

i will change companies when my account has been adjusted. MY MORTGAGE INCREASED OVER $100 A MONTH due to their bad behavior.

They refused to issue homeowner's to me after 44 years. I have a considerable amount of money invested at USAA, but as soon as I move and things are settled I'm leaving USAA and taking my investments with me.

They're not going to change.

They'll never learn because they're a different company now.

There's a saying I like..."Fool me once and you're a fool; fool me twice and I'm a fool." Live, learn, and move on.

Lawrenceville, Georgia
Usaa Homeowners Insurance

Travel specials really aren't specials!!!

They don't keep the specials open when they say they will & change the requirements & even cancel the offer before the expiration date!!! They first told me the deal had no minimum, then $500, then $750 to receive the discount of 40%. Even after calling them I find out the deal was removed before it expires. Why offer a deal or advertise it if you're not going to honor it??!? Then when I talked to the manager she said they couldn't do anything. I would have thought they could've done something, but they were just like, 'sorry'. Completely ridiculous. I won't be booking with them in the future. Ever!!!
Houston, Texas
Loss
We chose USAA as our banking institution after moving 3 states away. We wanted to keep our original local bank for certain reasons, and USAA allows you to manage other banks and transfer money through their website. We were excited about the opportunity, but didn't...

I've had the same issues with deposits, and he same BS about not being able to lift holds. Not sure what benefit they get from holding funds, but it is financially damaging and seems totally random and anti-customer behaviour.

View more comments
Usaa Banking Service

Uninsured Motorist Accident

I was in Georgia from North Carolina working temporarily when my SUV was hit in my hotel parking lot overnight. I called the police and USAA. I was informed about my deductible and uninsured motorist coverage given the situation...NOT true! After getting an estimate from their recommended collision repair shop, I was informed by a USAA claims adjuster the next day that I would not be eligible for the "Unissued motorist" coverage in Georgia. I asked the adjuster "why didn't the initial agent who took all my information, to include location tell me that then!" I think this is where USAA changes tactics to default on payout to members. I've been a member since 1983 and I've seen USAA service go downhill over the years. Maybe that's why they've started to run commercials to attract more military members and families. Bottom-line, don't have anything happen to your vehicle "except" in your home state, otherwise you may find out you are not eligible for coverage...you've just purchased "sometime insurance." Why wasn't I informed up front...they look for ways "NOT" to pay out, yet you pay for complete coverage..."SUSPECT TACTICS." Policy holders beware! Don't get caught out of state and have something go wrong...Wow, I hope USAA Roadside Assistance doesn't operate along the same lines.

If you have a NC based policy, you do not qualify for uninsured motorist coverage. The only way you have uninsured motorist coverage in GA is if you had a GA policy.

Kennesaw, Georgia