Show reviews that mention
insurance service customer money customer service account car bank claim credit
Filter review

USAA refused my claim and called me a liar

I was a "member" of USAA for 40 years for both homeowners and auto insurance. I had few claims and was never delinquent on my premiums. The diamond in my wife's wedding ring was insured as a high-quality gem (I have the gemologist's report). It received a sharp blow and was damaged. Upon regrading, it was valued much less than before the accident. USAA said it could not happen. I sued. I lost. I quit USAA. I am now with Amica for auto insurance. Premiums are lower, the people are nicer, and USAA had to send me $10,000 that they had been squirreling away all those years. I wonder how they get away with those tear-jerking commercials that scam veterans and armed forces members into "joining," as if were a privilege. I recommend that any veteran in my generation (age 65) change auto insurance carriers. Get the benefits that I did without the two-year-long hassle with them.

what type of coverage did you have on the ring? basic homeowners insurance would not be adequate if the ring was as valuable as you claim. Read your policy, it will let you know the limits of coverage for valuables.

:) I too am a 40+ yr subscriber to both homeowners and auto insurance with USAA and have had nothing but A+ treatment from them across all the years, most recently in 2010 when we had a hot water heating pipe burst in our basement family room, basically destroying the entire floor. Our claims adjuster at USAA was excellent, although a little slow at times, and within 6 months we had received full compensation for all expenses we incurred and all of the items that were destroyed .

Great service - I'm disappointed to hear that some policyholders have had a bad time with USAA. Not me!!

I had heard of this company before but did not investigate. Was initially interested as I am a vet.

After reading from this site it appears it's just like most, just take the money and give little to nothing in return as possible. I don't really need to change what I have now so USAA is as far as I'm concerned not going to get a dime of my money.

Guess those ex-service guys who supposedly started USAA should have got Dishonorable Discharges judging by what I have read here! Worthless trash.

View more comments (2)
Englewood, Colorado
Usaa Homeowners Insurance
I HAVE BEEN WITH USAA FOR THREE YEARS.. IN JUNE 2011 MY CAR WAS STOLEN AND TOTALED USAA STATED THAT THEY CAN'T COMPENSATE ME FOR MY STOLEN VEHICLE BECAUSE IT HAS A SCRATCH ON THE TRUNK THAT WAS REPAIRED A YEAR AGO THROUGH THEM.. WHAT HAS THAT HAVE TO DO WITH MY CAR...

To someone who knows better. For someone who knows better, or claims too, you sure don't know anything!!

If any of this were the case I wouldn't have a complaint now would I!! You should use your brain and think before you jump in shark infested waters. And for the record I don't talk smack over the internet. If you have nothing useful or positive to say about individuals and their situations please don't comment!!USAA has done alot of us veterans and military personal wrong.

And if they feel like I do then someone who knows better you should know bwtter than to come at a pissed off marine with that!! Hope you love reading this!!

Dallas, Texas

After 40 years with USAA I am finding a new carrier

I have full coverage auto insurance with "0" deductible and have had since 1971. On 09/08/2011 I had my car stolen while on a business trip (520 miles from home). Naturally I reported it to USAA that day. I have never been exposed to such incompetency by a group of "Professionals" before in my life! I was passed around from one claims rep. to another for 4 days before one was found that seemed to know what he was doing and could answer the simplest questions. During that time I repeatedly asked for a supervisor and was refused. When a supervisor "Crystal" called me back she said to me, "feel free to find another insurance company". She later (on 9/21/2011) [after the vehicle was recovered and deemed "totaled" that I had to release my car to her before the vehicle was even appraised and a price settled on "or else pay the charges myself for any storage." So far I have no vehicle to drive, USAA has not paid a dime and the adjusters attitude seems to care less. Meanwhile, I am still waiting! What has happened to USAA ? Who is in charge ? Where has friendly service gone? Is it time to find a new Insurer? What do you think ? James A. Waddill, Capt. U.S. Army, Retired

To Honest Guy

Keep your a- - off this site and crawl back to your owner, USAA!! Hawking bs for a job is....BS. Your advise here is the same kind of cr-p your employer passes out after they've got a persons money.

Anne that is false, USAA is nothing like a broker and they have their own insurance companies but some service go through other carries but 95-97% are all done in house. Auto, Home, Banking, Life, and Investments. You may want to research or ask an actual employee before you say things that are not true.

What people do not realize is that USAA does not sell its OWN insurance products but is acting like a broker in selling OTHER companies' product lines. For example my mother bullied my father into purchasing Long Term Care insurance (she was convinced he would develop Alzheimers') & he was sold on a product described in the USAA magazine.

I looked @ it & discovered it was an excellent product but one available through a company I represented & which I could also service.

The price was no different, the benefits were the same but he didn't have to call USAA for answers or for help w/ problems. Oh, and please don't call for insurance quotes because I am no longer licensed

View more comments (2)
Beaumont, Texas
Usaa Auto Insurance

USAA stands for

DO NOT use USAA for your mortgage!! They do not give a rat's *** if you are a veteran or a first time homebuyer...or both! You would think that they would take extra good care of their soldiers (one who has been deployed TWICE in 3 years) as they claim to do in their new commercials but that is the best example of false advertising I've seen yet. Here is what happened: They convinced us to go with the VA loan since it would be a "better deal" in their opinion even though we had 25k to put down. Our realtors cringed when we told them how we were planning to finance the house...we should have known then. Since we are not married yet they said only my fiance could be on the loan. The contract was signed by both of us since we originally were going with the conventional loan. So of course the FIRST question we emailed to the processor was if we had to ammend the contract. She said no only to change her mind 3 weeks later. We were shocked at this recommendation since we didn't think we would be approved on just one of our salaries. They "ran the numbers" and said that my fiance would be approved based off of his current salary, excellent credit, no debt, and large amount of liquid assets. So we "locked in the rate" and proceeded with the contract, appraisal, title search, inspection, termite treatment, closing date, etc. In the meantime we had numerous un-returned phone calls, emails, and requests for multiple copies of documents even though they had been attached to previous emails and sent already. A huge headache in summary. After the "conditional loan approval" that was based off of the same salary that my fiance provided in the application, our processor called to say that he had been denied based on income. That's right.....the SAME income and credit and everything that they had approved him on, ordered an appraisal, and had us set up the closing date two days before. I am a mortgage officer myself and I know firsthand that appraisals and closing dates should not be set until affordability and credit history are reviewed and approved. They had absolutely no explanation or apologies for getting us this far in the process and then denying him based on information they had from the beginning. Not to mention we are now backed against a wall since our due diligence is up in two days and this was sprung on us this morning. So $1,000 is potentially out the window and the icing on the cake was the $350 processing fee assessed along with our denial letter. Oh and the manager returned our phone call SEVEN hours later and ten minutes before they closed. Of course we missed the call because we were doing honest work at our jobs unlike them. Do yourselves a favor and don't fall for their advertisements. Going through USAA may cause you to lose much of your hard earned money, your sanity and perhaps your dream home.

I am so disappointed. I was looking for feedback and find racist remarks about Mexican American and people who obviously have not done proper research on what has changed in the mortgage process and how much paperwork is required now with all these new regulations.

Read the news, learn about what to expect...you can find it on google.

And I agree with Pulltype and J, I have yet to find any news about mismanagment in mortgage. Shame on the racist comment.

Our experience with USAA is almost identical. We were quickly pre-approved for a loan, found a house and sign a contract.

Three weeks into the process hey started asking for additional document. Ones we already provided and wound up giving them multiple copies of our tax returns. The capper was my wife’s business. She has been very successful in business and has had a large increase in receipts.

Her profits as a percentage of the receipts is actually down, but more than the previous year as well. But because she is doing well, USAA states they cannot accept her income. They asked her to justify this income increase which she did by providing documentation from her business. Further, my wife was asked to prove that taking funds from her business would not hurt her business.

Even a letter from my wife’s CPA was not good enough for USAA and a day after USAA scheduled closing data USAA turn us down. We are now out of $1000 direct fees to USAA and another $10,000 in escrow expenses. Our phone calls were not returned and only persistence by non-stop calling got any response. The executive complaint department was of little assistance.

Further we were promised a refund only to have them call back and renege on that too. Most of these issues would have been caught before we signed an escrow.

I'm in the process of getting a mortgage with USAA. My processor recently told me that Underwriting needed to know the source of some deposists that were deposited into our checking account.

So if we had a deposit of $500, they want to know where the $500 came from.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm starting to get fed up with them.

USAA is worse than all the other banks by far for mortgage loans. Here is why: At least with the other banks, they are not intentionally misleading consumers as being the Veteran friendly.

Case in point- we are refinancing our $745,000 first mortgage in Palo Alto via a "jumbo" loan. The assigned USAA mortgage processor, Monique in San Antonio, barely apeaks English and is rude and very unknowledgeable. I asked her basic questions about rate and term,and she said she did not understand the question. I got a hold of her supervisor and she basically defended Monique's poor service.

This is a case of hiring Mexican Americans over white americans simply to be "diverse".

They are a rotton, pathetic organization- USAA mortgage services

The black and white reads simply one bank cannot do everything the best. USAA and home mortgages clearly clarified ( they farm out the mortgages to third party lenders.

Service member or veteran does not matter USAA still requires charges on the VA loan that the VA criteria states is not needed to close the loan. Just attempted to refinance through USAA. They went the extra mile lol why should they get me a lower % 3.99 rate when there making $$ 6.4 off the rate now.

Oh yes they offered a lower rate put a a tremendous refinance rate. When I asked them modify the loan to under 20,000 an earthly number lol and they charge for the loan application.

I have everything through USAA (home loan, which they approved me for), auto insurance, homeowners insurance, checking and savings. They are the best bank I've been with ever.

I've been in over 24 yrs. in the military and I will not bank with anyone else (Bank of America, Washington Mutual..now Chase, etc.) The other banks are rip offs, not USAA. Does anyone see USAA in the news about being bought out like Washington Mutual (now Chase)? How about Bank of America with their inappropriate home mortgage schemes, etc?

BofA literally stuck it to all the veterans on their home mortgages while they were deployed. Selling their mortgages and throwing vets out into the street. Has USAA?

I THINK NOT!!!! USAA IS NUMBER 1 IN MY BOOK!!!

Sorry, you are both WRONG. I find USAA very easy to work with.

Real veterans would know that paperwork is even more important than guns, sad to say.

If you think you can skip or slide by on sloppy paperwork in todays mortgage climate, veteran or not, think again. Try Pentagon Credit Union and you will find the same result.

Story probably 100% accurate. There are NO banks or mortgage companies that "give preference" to vets or active duty, its all a big advertisement game and Amer Legion, VFW, Marine Corps League ALL BOUGHT THE BULLS.H.I.T.

from USAA. USAA should be arrested for pretending to be all for the vets, their not, just another schemeing bank.

View more comments (7)
Raleigh, North Carolina

USAA military student loan highway robbery

Update by user Sep 16, 2011

18% interest BTW

Update by user Sep 16, 2011

In addition, I was never notified via phone or via email that anything had changed. Most companies would have explored other means of contact before forcing this on a consumer.

Original review posted by user Sep 16, 2011
I took out a loan as a student commissioning in the armed services. It looked good, but turned out horribly. I am now still paying for my mistake today. About 3 years into school, I decided to change degree programs and spend an extra year at school. I was told by USAA it would be deferred until I commissioned and was working full time. My mail was going to my home address over a thousand miles away and my family didnt open my mail as a courtesy and I was constantly gone for school or military training. I later recieved word that my supposedly deferred loan payments had plunged me into default. When I called USAA, they wouldnt do anything to help me, despite them prior telling me I would be good with paying it back after school. How was I supposed to pay 450 bucks a month on a loan when im taking 23 credits and working a job only 20 hrs a week?? They didnt care and told me if I didnt pay up it would go to collections..and since I didnt have any money, I had to beg & borrow to the point I had nearly nothing to satisfy them. Now Ive paid over 5700 dollars alone in interest and still paying out my ***. I dont even see half my paycheck and there is nothing they will do to help me lower the interest rate or lower my payments even though Im struggling to make ends meet, take care of my family, and am deploying overseas... For a pro-military company, they sure screwed this soldier good. This has been a VERY expensive lesson. Be warned before you sign your financial independence away to this company...
Jackson, Mississippi
Usaa Loan

USAA's is not trustworthy

I've had people straight out lie to me, I've got different stories from talking to one department to the next, I've been hung up on, I've spent a total of about 6 hours on the phone trying to get my Credit Card and Bank Account corrected, I've had to verify accounts online twice. I do not understand how this company has any good reviews. After being with this bank for under a month it has become clear that they can not be trusted with my money. I am closing my account and cancelling the credit card I just got with them.

We can certainly understand your concern over this matter. We'd like an opportunity to review the situation prior to you moving your accounts; perhaps there is some way we can assist.

If possible, please send a brief summary of the situation, along with your member number, to us at usaasocialmedia_bank@***.com. We hope to hear from you soon.

Washington, District Of Columbia
Usaa Banking Service
Loss
I have been a loyal customer of USAA for 10 years (my husband for over 20). Over that time I moved all my accounts from Life Insurance to my only credit card to USAA. I put all my eggs in one basket (I know I am an ***). I got a letter in the mail yesterday saying...

They have been doing this to me too for the past three years. They lowered mine again on June 20th and I lost 10 points on my credit score, which was over 800.

I called Corporate after they did it to me the first time, lowering my limit by over 10k that time. Corporate told me that they can do it if they want. This should be illegal!! As soon as I can get that card paid off, I will close all accounts and never use USAA ever again.

For what it's worth, I have had no delinquencies EVER on my credit reports and always had a score higher than 800. They are using whatever reason they can to do this and are getting away with it.

Albany, New York

USAA TOTALLY INEPT for Home MORTGAGE!!!!

RUN RUN RUN...Totally inept.... 1)Delayed builder by 6 weeks because they did not communicate at all!2)Did not give 'good faith advice' on locking interest rate (somewhat subjective here) 3)Did not order the appraisal on time (despite that we requested 20 workdays ahead of time) they delayed until August 30th, delaying our closing.... 4) Per our contract Builder can hold house for 10 days from close (penalized each day of course) and IF we do not close (ie delayed from USAA), then we lose $10,000 earnest money(which is HIGHLY likely to happen). RUN RUN RUN from USAA mortgage.... Insurance is good but the home loan department is ABSOLUTELY WORTHELESS!!!! What we will be doing *Filing a complaint with the VA *Suing USAA for 'breach of good faith' lending standards *Perhaps suing under Fair Housing act of 1969 *Seeking Punitive damages for lost earnest money *I do not care IF I win or NOT; it is the principle!!!!! *Never sued anyone before PS: long military family (on both sides) ANYONE FOR A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT? jnm1077@***.com
Atlanta, Georgia
Loss

Filed a legitimate claim and got dropped

My husband is a current active member of the military. Which is part of USAA's advertisement how they take care of their service members. Well we have had auto and home insurance with this well over 7 years or maybe even longer. The main pipe that runs through the house was leaking the house is 42 years old. The initial leak appeared to be coming from the kitchen sink well it turned out that the floor had to be removed. They paid the claims and dropped us effective next year. Punished for filing a claim. Company Sucks. Now they are trying to force us to some low budget company. Maybe Ms. Y. Rodriguez will know how it feels to have injustice done after she loses her job for screwing people. Cause there won't be no policies left for to cancel.
Miami, Florida
Usaa Claim

USAA baited and switched Mortgage Servicing:

After terrible mortgage servicing from another company, we were elated to find out USAA now carried first mortgages. after four (4)calls to them to confirm that they do not sell or transfer loans to other companies, we arranged transfer of the 'earnest' money to them. After a process where people you would normally not let into your house had to come into our home to do USAA process (appraisal, inspection, closer), when signing the final documents we discovered where USAA 'may' transfer the loan to another company. What do you do when you are out close to $800 and they paperwork is not what was agreed to while dealing with USAA? We unfortunately signed, and what did USAA do? Immediately transfered the loan to GMAC before the first payment was do. The first year, GMAC refunded close to $900 dollars from the escrow account, then upped the monthly payment because of escrow shortage. We have had four (4) different monthly payment amounts the first year! Call USAA to complain, they transfer you to GMAC, who places your call on hold and never picks back up.
Washington, District Of Columbia
Usaa Mortgage

USAA Mortgage- Dodged a bullet!

First time home buyers here, and we're just getting started. We thought we would get our home loan from USAA since my husband has had insurance with them for 10 years now. After reading all of your reviews, we have definently changed our minds! Whether or not USAA cares or even listens to the angry and frustrated voices on here, just know that you HAVE done some good here people! I will NOT be using them as my lender, and THANK YOU FOR YOUR HONEST ADVICE!!!!! I think we may have just dodged one heck of a big bullet! Now, anyone want to recommend a lender that doesn't have thier head up thier collective *sses?

Hi, We got completely screwed over by usaa mortgage 5 days before our closing date! We ended up going through a different lender: VAmortgagecenter.com with loan processor Garrison Foster and they were able to help us!

They were fantastic!! I highly recommend them, they put us at ease and made the process painless, unlike usaa who made our lives a hellish nightmare.

Mobile, Alabama

USAA insurance So Very Unethical

I sometimes wonder how do the employees at USAA sleep at night. No conscience whatsoever. I wonder if they would like to be treated the way they treat people. Heartless..i was screamed at yelled at just for simply asking for my rights. I have nightmares dealing with this company after my auto accident with a USAA driver who was not paying attention..they refuse to acknowledge problems pertaining to the accident which is obvious. I am thinking of a class action lawsuit this is a 31 billion dollar company and they should step up to the plate and do what is right. Treat people with respect.

D/L 5/15/17 LOC: PUNTA, GORDA,FL Mishandling of this accident caused much anguish and frustration. The claim was paid before all facts were in.

I am USSAs insured atthe time and my cout date was 8/24/17.

no one helped me at time of accident or with this ridiculous subrogation not to be hwld until all info was available. My experience with USSAis not good, Am fightingfor my rights...

I work for USAA and since being employed there I think the company has gone downhill esp considering the amount of complaint calls taken. Also, I wish they would treat employees better.

Once I submitted a time off request 6 to 7 months in advance and still was told no.

In addition considering how much work is put on us we are given very little time to do it as they think answering phones all day solves everything. Very disappointing.

These people should rot in ***..well Karma will take care of them..for those who were treated fairly pray never to be on the other side of the table..you should not judge the ones who were ripped off you do not walk in their shoes..maybe some day you will understand what it feels like to be treated unfairly..this company is unethical check out their ratings..i did not come up with it..it says BEWARE doing business with this company...

For those who were ripped off this is what the ratings are with The Consumer Complaint Agency...Be CAREFUL!!!The following are the exact words from their website...

This business presently maintains an unsatisfactory rating with the CCA. Consumers are advised to use caution when dealing with this organization.

Yeah, lawsuits solve everything, especially negligence. Not everything can be peachy keen and only one side of the story does not tell it all.

USAA is rated number one in customer service by Consumer Reports (non-biased). Cheers!

We were involved in an Automobile accident and the other driver had USAA. Our Insurance company, Geico treated us wonderfully and even went out of their way to help the other driver. The other driver didn't have Rental coverage so Geico paid for their rental car. They claimed that both passengers cell phones were broken in the accident and Geico paid them $100 each for the replacement.

Then, several months later we received a letter directly from them saying we we liable for almost $2000 in non-covered costs and that we MUST send them a certified check within 15 days. We called Geico and found out that they had already agreed to the amount paid. Geico contacted them and they said "Sorry, that is just a form letter that goes out." Geico says that they have seen this happen before and the client was never able to get their money back.

We will stay with Geico and we will aggressively tell other people in our Military community to avoid USAA at all costs.

HM1, USN (Retired)

I lost everything to an apartment fire and they deposited the full amount of my coverage almost overnight once the fire report got to them. Then a few weeks later in our new place we had a bunch of stuff stolen.

Couldn't believe how courteous and caring they were. Was I really dealing with a company?

Felt like "mom" was making everything better! They definitely understand the unique needs of the military

View more comments (16)
Orlando, Florida
Usaa Auto Insurance

More then doubled my life insurance premium

My USAA term life insurance policy is made up of both a level premium/level benifit portion of from 10 to 20 years as selected by the insured and a variable premium/decreasing benifit portion lasting until either the policy has been in effect 50 years or the insured's 90th birthday. After paying in for 13 of the selected 15 years of the level premium/level benifits portion, I checked with USAA regarding any requirements for contnuing into decreasing benifits portion and was informed that premiums for the decreasing benifit portion of that policy were scheduled to more that double over what had been advertised as the planned rate.

An annual renewable increases in premium each year and at a certain point decreases in death benefit because cost of insurance goes up as you get older. Never get a policy or maintain one that does not have a level DB/level premium.

As a matter of fact, term policies in general are junk and that is where the insurance companies get their money because only 2% of term policies are ever paid. ULIFE and Whole life are the best options, especially for younger people.

Monterey, California
Loss
USAA is the best bank I have EVER dealt with! They are always there when we need them. We have our two cars insured with them, our Homeowners insurance with them, and previously our renters insurance with them as well as Valued Personal Property (jewels). I COULD...

I love them, too. They wouldn't approve our current mortgage and now we are underwater!

I wish we would have listened to them.

Banking, insurance claims, everything has gone smoothly with them for the last 10 years.

Tyler, Texas

Does USAA want to receive NO money as second lien holders on California Short Sales?

Does USAA want to receive NO compensation when they are second lien holders on short sales in the state of California? With the passage of SB 458 on 7/15/2011 they can no longer require additional compensation by the homeowner to participate in a short sale. I have an approval from the 1st lien holder that is quickly expiring, and a verbal approval from USAA on the 2nd. They claim they don't have an approved letter from their legal department to issue. Not only is my patience wearing thin, but also my time. How can I illicit a faster response from them? They are cutting their nose off despite their face as they'll get nothing if the property is foreclosed upon.
Antioch, California