USAA Reviews

Show reviews that mention
insurance service customer customer service money account car bank claim phone
Filter review

The WORST insurance in the world!

And if you are in the Military - STAY FAR AWAY from these crooks! My brother-in-law is in the Navy and is out to sea a lot, his wife got in a wreck in his car (her name is not on the car) and USAA treated her like ***, told us there was nothing they could do without a power of attorney from him - but then they told him they had picked up the car and were charging him storage - the car was sitting in his driveway the whole time! To top it off, my 9 year old grandson was in the car at the time of the accident and received a neck injury - they are now saying his medical treatment was not necessary and they don't want to pay the doctor bill - wait until I contact an attorney, will see what a Judge says about screwing a 9 year old out of treatment!

If his wife's name was listed on the policy, they wouldn't have had any trouble. If she was an unlisted household driver, that is a big no-no.

You are paying premiums for 1 driver..of course they are going to give you problems.

And if the vehicle was on a storage discount while being parked in the driveway....they shouldn't pay the claim at all. Its a storage discount for a reason.

Not having a PoA is just plain ***. Of course a PoA is required to do anything is someone else's name.

How would you feel if just anybody was allowed to do something in your name, that is called fraud. Her name should have been on the insurance even if she didn't own the car.

I have had no issues, because I have a power of attorney and was covered like I should be. That's why they give you the option of insuring others on your insurance policy.

I had an accident in my husband's car while he was on deployment for a year and USAA covered me and my children 100%. I was listed as a driver on his account.

I am sorry but if your brother in law is out to see all the time and didn't give his wife PoA, I am not sure that was a good move at all, especially when it comes to housing issues. Every single deployment my husband or I have been on, we had to give someone we trusted PoA before we could even deploy.

Lancaster, Texas

USAA Failure

We've been with USAA (military vet) for over 30 years. My parents were also USAA members for decades before I joined. USAA was the mutual company whom we trusted would understand and meet our needs. We have had past property claims over 3 decades and were treated with respect. USAA is not the company we once knew ... and has adopted a strategy of wearing down claimants so that they will accept less. Financial pressure is compelling them to cut claims payments ... and do everything possible to add members. They will be losing our business ... and that of my extended family. If you have a rogue claims adjuster, get to a boss first ... then if not resolved quickly, escalate to the state Insurance Commission or one of the USAA generals. If you're in TX, you're in luck. TX Insurance Commission does NOT like USAA and would love to hear your complaint. If they offer anything, ask for documentation. If they do not provide documentation, reply through usaa.com with a summary of the phone call to enter documentation into the file. USAA waited 11 months to respond to our property claim (after it was assigned a number). Eleven months ... in spite of our weekly phone calls and letters. At least, we've kept our case documented (sending messages through their website)... so if it gets escalated (which we may do) we will have all documentation. Restoration professionals sent by USAA are equally frustrated and baffled by USAA's delays, forgetfulness, and arbitrary challenges. Looking for a reliable insurer... and angry that my longtime insurer has gone rogue...

I have had USAA -homke, caras, and rentals for 55 years. My five kids have each had it for about 20-30 years and two ex wives have each had it for 29 years and 19 years.

Hundreds of my military friends have had it for many decades. Never had I heard of an unfair settlement. I have had many as have my family (nine among my extended family in past three years - all quickly and settled at more than fair amounts (one even cover vfor mokld remediation when not really covered by policy!

This complainer obviously does not know the terms of his policy. What is and is not covered is clearly stated.

I have to concur, not at all impressed with the ways of USAA. My car was hit by one of their insured, it was parked in a lot and this lady drove her SUV 1/3rd of the way up my car before finally stopping. I think she was "tweeting" or otherwise playing with her phone. She got out and admitted her culpability, but after I drove to get estimates she hid out and I had to contact USAA to deal with it. She hid from them for a month before finally concocting a ridiculous story where my parked car somehow hit her, and because it was "different" from the truth USAA claimed no liability.... 3 months after I first contacted them.

2 years later she finally admits her fraud and USAA offers to pay the damage with 2010 estimates, I finally said "OK." they sent me a check with a letter opposite what I was told on the phone, but I cashed it to get this behind me. 2 weeks later their check was returned and deducted from my financial institution.

After reading the stories above perhaps this is par for the course, but I guess I'm an eternal optimist and try seeing all these things as honest mistakes. But on advice above perhaps a report to my state's insurance commissioner would be a good thing for the community. I have heard that the "bad faith" restrictions were removed from insurance companies, maybe they should be restored as this Kafkaesque experience is worse than insurance fraud.

Yes, it sucks big time that USAA has gone over to the "dark side". And they are now contracting with a company named Marshall Swift Boeckh that sends home revaluation forms (designed by USAA) to USAA CIC homeowner policy holders. They send multiple dunning letters trying to get you to fill in and return the form (even if the information on it is precisely the same as what you have provided USAA each year) and then call you at all hours of the day and evening to get you to return the form or give them your info over the phone. It's just a pretext to either devalue your home (and save themselves big bucks in the event it must be repaired or replaced) or to up your insurance rates. I just phoned the contracting agency AND USAA back to tell them what I thought of this new, underhanded tactic which can only have been designed to enable them to somehow scadge a bigger profit from all of us "ex-military-service" middle class people who they want to squeeze for more profits to pay for their fancy (and false) TV ad campaign. Sorry boys . . . we're middle class Americans and, hadn't you heard, we've already been milked dry!

I've been with USAA since 1968 and, until the past 10 years, they were the best insurance company around. Their auto insurance is still good, although its customer service interface is slipping badly.

Unfortunately, their homeowner's insurance arm, which was also once a reliable agency, is now heavily into scamming by recommending low-balling, poor quality reconstruction companies like Cary Reconstruction Company out of Apex, NC, who nearly destroyed my home when they made shoddy, not to code repairs to major roof, ceiling beams, chimney, dry wall, and floor repairs to it following an ice storm in 2002. The ceiling "repairs" were so poorly done and potentially dangerous that we had to have a construction engineer come in to evaluate them. He ordered the subcontractors (mostly illegal aliens who were poorly trained, poorly paid and barely spoke English) to tear out the ceiling sheetrock so he could see why the decorative beam they were trying to nail over it was teeter-tottering on a low point. Turned out that a ceiling joist/beam had been pushed down approximately 2-3 inches by the top third of a mature pine tree AND a 150 pound concrete chimney cap that had fallen on the roof. Cary Reconstruction's carpentry sub, who'd made structural "repairs" to the roof and ceiling beams, hadn't bothered to jack up the beam and reattach it by joist hanger to the side wall support point. Instead he just planed off the bottom of the beam so it would be even with those beside it and be able to have sheetrock nailed flat across it ! Fortunately for me, he didn't plane off enough of that beam. As a result, it formed a low point, causing the sheetrockers to be unable to nail the decorative beam running perpendicular to it in place! When the ceiling panels were removed to reveal this not-to-code and dangerous "repair", we also found they'd crammed R-33 thick, wall insulation between the beams in the entire livingroom and diningroom cathedral ceiling, effectively shutting off the air that's required to circulate through our soffit vent / roof cap cooled ceiling/roof system. This is just one very major example of the shoddy work this reconstruction firm provided to me. I had so many problems with this company and its sub's that I had to take time off work to be at the house whenever they were there in order to stop them each time they did something else terribly wrong. I have a complete, photographic record of this travesty. And I'm not alone in this experience . . . one of my colleagues at work, and one of my neighbors, both of whom were also USAA members, experienced similar disasters with this company. We all contacted USAA and requested they cease recommending Cary Reconstruction to policy holders in our area, only to find several years later that they were still doing so! Of course they were . . . because that company low balls bids and uses cheap labor so they cost USAA less!

Thus I'm not at all surprised to find USAA making this latest, underhanded attempt to find a way to get its policy holders' houses either down-valued, so USAA doesn't have to pay as much to replace the properties if they're destroyed, or their rates raised so they must pay more money (which they don't have in their pockets to spare) to USAA, increasing the company's ill-gotten profits.

Shame on you, USAA . . . once you were an outstanding insurance company, now you're just as bad as all the other Big Banks and Insurance Mafiosa who have taken over our government and bled the American middle class dry while ruining the United States and Global economies!

It sucks that you have lost the trust and loyalty you've invested with USAA for so many years. Now you're having to look for a good repritable insurance company you can build your trust in.

The problem with USAA is that they really don't care about the people and their family. IT'S ALL ABOUT THEIR BUSINESS ALONE! I'm bitter because I felt as though they abandoned me and my daughter (kicked us to the curb) when I got divorced from my ex-husband who was in the Air Force. I had banking, and wanted to get car insurance with them.

I was told that in order to get it, I would have to put my then separated AF husband's name on the insurance. But the car was mine - and in my name alone. They refused, so I went to GEICO and have been happy with them for te past 8 years. I still have a credit card and savings account with them, but since I cannot get any other service through them, I'm going to take my money to another bank (Credit Union).

So you are right in taking your business to another insurance company who will appreciate having you and your family. Good luck!

View more comments (3)
Purchase, New York

Usaa Rude Claim handlers

I had no problem with usaa till today i try and figure out with my claim and why no one has called me, then i have Debra Brown of Usaa, get on the phone as rude as can be. Well she tells me she can fax it i say no cause i don't have a fax, I said well can i fax it to my Allstate Agent. Debra now you have a fax. what happened to no" So i ask if i can give her the number. Debra well no wait till I'm ready. When i ask for her name again she wont tell me, when i ask to speak to a manager or someone hirer up she tells me no.

Learn some proper grammar. Its hard to understand you because we don't speak stup1d.

Fayetteville, North Carolina
$2000

Auto insurance

I have my auto insurance with USAA. I have always paid my premiums on time and was pleased at how inexpensive they were. I have uninsured motorist coverage for 100,000. I was rear ended by an unlicensed driver with no license. It has been a year and a half and they don't want to pay my claim. I have 7000 in bills. My car was totalled and I was given enough to buy another car two years older. I have a lawyer and they are using pre existing conditions against me. I will have to sue to get paid.

Dear haha, your definition of a loser is all wrong. Someone who pays there bills, only drives with a license and insurance is not a loser.

The unlicensed drug addict is a loser. I don't care how many lawyers they bring- I am in the right.

I am still in pain and I have the medical documentation to back it up. It does suck to be me because I have to deal with *** like you.

I sued USAA and won. They were wrong in their practice and needed to be held accountable.

They will try to push it out long enough where you can't wait anymore, but just try to stick with it. It took over a year for me.

Sucks to be you. Bet you wish you could afford as many lawyers as USAA can! LOSER!

Detroit, Michigan
Usaa Auto Insurance

USAA sucks ***

A few years back, I co-signed on a loan (later learned never to do that), with my brother. He never payed on it. I never knew he wasnt paying on it and one day I went to login into my account. It gave me the message, you are being denied for security reasons, please call this 1800#. I called to find out what was going on and they told me that since the loan hadnt been payed on it was going to collections. I asked if they sent me any notice on it and they said yes. I asked were they sent the mail correspondence to. It was being sent to my dads address since thats were my brothers mail was going. I asked my dad and he said he never saw anything from them for me or my brother. I asked what number they called, at the time it was my current number. They said they called and said no I had not received any calls nor did I have a voicemail indicating so. They made repeated comments that they did. Later on almost a year later, my brother made a settlement amount with a USAA collector. Only $800 dollars short of the original loan amount. Even though that USAA made an agreement, they continue to deny me service with them. I dont think that its right. So everytime someone brings up USAA, I let them know how much they suck at doing business and will continue to do so everyday till they change the way they do business.

I have been a customer for over 20 years and now the scam is hitting with the insurance underwriters. I have no use for USAA and I hope they shut their doors.

I have been a customer with USAA for over 26 years. I have never had a problem with them.

javascript:ac_smilie(':(')javascript:ac_smilie(':sigh')javascript:ac_smilie(':cry')

I lost my house to foreclosure - one of the first 1000 of the millions in 2008. Bankruptcy followed.

USAA cut services, raised my insurance and wouldn't allow me to log on to their website. It's tough to get punished for the housing failure. I was a customer for 30 years and they were excellent.

Now they treat me worse than dirt. I moved to Geico.

USAA is lower than whale ***. They lie, they steal, and the veterans-interest at heart *** is a mutha *** lie.

USAA staff and their sorry-assed management can eat my *** like a doughnut, all around the hle.

Here's the thing; by cosigning on the loan you agreed to make payments if your brother didn't. Perhaps you didnt realize that was the case, but it was.

Cosigning on a loan makes you liable for the debt as well, so if it defaults then that comes back on you. Whether or not the amount was settled, your brother's refusal to pay negatively affected your payment history as well. By co-signing you agreed that payments would be made on time, and they weren't.

Why would you expect them to do business with you after that? Blame your brother and yourself for this one, not USAA.

I have been a USAA consumer for over 25 years, took out a loan for parents house and were closing on 11/14. Linda rodrigez the loan processor at USAA failed to process the loan and two days later we still are not closed, and no idea what this loan processor is doing.

It is clear that she is not doing her job.

USAA is known for outstanding customer service. My parents have had customer NO-service.

View more comments (6)
Chantilly, Virginia
Usaa Loan
I had USAA insurance for over 10 years, (for home owners, auto, life insurance) and thought they were competitive in price. My Dad served in the military but I did not. I noticed they escallated their prices often and a lot. After I moved homes, I checked on the...

I have lived in my current home for 13 years. The house was built in 1880.

It was last updated in 1973 with new plumbing/wiring/etc. USAA insures my home without problems. We've checked into a couple of other companies, and yeah, some of them are cheaper. BUT, USAA has covered every claim we have had without question.

When my then 7 year old son and 2 of his friends were playing around a new construction home, they found the cap on the newly drilled well was loose. Over the course of those two weeks, the 3 boys dropped all kinds of stuff down the well. It was a 300 foot well, and when the drilling company dropped the pump, they hit an obstruction at 45 feel. They boys had filled the well almost all the way.

The well had to be re-drilled and the cost was split between the three families. I don't know what insurance the other companies had, but they didn't cover any of the cost. Those parents paid out of pocket. USAA paid our entire 1/3 of the cost.

We also insure our cars through them. My wife had two accidents in the past two years.

They covered all but the $250 deductible, gave us more than we thought the vehicles were worth, and have not upped our premiums by a dime. I'll keep them.

Boise, Idaho
Usaa Auto Insurance
In October of 2010, my estranged husband broke into my home and tried to murder me to forgo the divorce and child support. Ironically, I was arrested for self-defense. Self-defense was proven in June 2011. During my 23 days in jail, He then hacked/altered my USAA...

I had been a member for 25 plus years and went to work for the company. I was very disappointed to see and feel the effects of the gender discrimination that goes on in the company at a lower level.

I've see the board of directors list and the executive list and I find it very hard to believe that they are being made aware of these issue to the extent that they exist. I expect as long as they continue to do business in the oppresive states and do not expand resources to the progressive states, these issues will continue to be swept under the rug. I suggest you get an attorney and fight this injustice to the bitter end because conditions for women and minorities need to improve.

It's a boys club. Women beware....

Newport News, Virginia
Product
Usaa Account

USAA Not Best Deal

USAA is not automatically the best deal! USAA does not provide the best deals with their rates and other services they offer. Always make sure you do your due diligence and get other quotes . I am a commander and in most cases military personnel can get a better deal at other institutions. How can a financial institution provide you the best deal on property or vehicle insurance when they just mark up the price. USAA does not respect your privacy and does provide your personal information to other companies. They use tricks and traps to say they do respect your privacy knowing they just enter into an agreement with the other party to claim they don't release PII except to trusted partners. Bottom line: Use local banks and credit unions when possible. These large financial institutions pay their CEO very large salaries and bonus and that money must come from you. Do you know what the CEO of USAA makes with all benefits and options?

This guy Brett Flaharty is looking to get money from anyone he can. Do not trust him.

Do not give him any of your personal info.

like you account numbers. He is a *** man looking for his next victim.

Dude, they only harrass members that don't pay their bills. Perhaps you should make your payment as described in your contract with them and you won't have any problems.

I have been in business with them for years and NEVER had a problem.

I know times are hard but if you try to pay them on time, they won't bother you.

And if your credit is trashed because you didn't meet your obligations with them, well that's your fault, not their's. Good luck to you.

My name is Brett C. Flaharty and I am seeking any and all victims of USAA's fraud, misrepresentation, abuses and the like - no matter if it auto/ home insurance, banking, mortgage or financial services related. I have successfully orchestrated and executed class action law suits against corporate behemoths, and take this one more seriously than any other. I am not a BAR certified lawyer yet, but my track record speaks for itself. I am not in this for the money, but rather for justice. My family is a victim of USAA's unethical, illegal and reprehensible behavior which has caused great damage to our credit, and ability to secure income/ provide for our children by extension thereof. USAA is WORSE than Bank of America, who has to pay out some 7 billion dollars as a jury found them guilty of mortgage scamming, and fraud. There is only enough strength in numbers to defeat these criminals. We must stand together, but before we can do that, we must find each other and record our individual accounts so as to become a class.

Please call me if you have any information/ complsaints that could help achieve class certification, or know anyone else who is a victim.

Brett Flaharty (661)478-****

Another fake post by what? -- fired employee, disgruntled customer?

USAA is certainly not always the cheapest -- many variables here but doing price checks is a good idea. There is no truth to release of private information -- period.

View more comments (3)
Columbus, Ohio

Fire to Apt Bldg and USAA refuses to pay out

I justly recently had a fire on my bldg. For 3 months I have gotten the run around with my adjustor. She had told me because my cleaning of my items was close to my cap and the moving and storing of my items they want me to go pick up my clothes that haven't been cleaned n throw out or clean sone of them myself. The best part is they are still trying to put the amount that is owed to the movers under my loss or damage portion of the policy. Out of 30k they want to give me 2k. That doesn't even cover what was destroyed in the fire or stolen/lost. It's funny how I never can get my adjustor or her supervisor on their extension but they are quick to write up a claim worksheet that is ***. And is nothing to what they say over the phone. The better business bureau and insurance commission have been contacted. Meanwhile I'm still fighting with them to correct their figures

Please contact my husband,Joe and I. Usaa sent entire file to a special investigator.thanks lisaandjoe1993@***.com

If you are in Maryland or Pennsylvania, I can re-open your claim and persue compensation. My initial consultation is complimentary. If you chose to use my service, I am paid only when you get paid.

Additionally, if they rightfully denied, I will explain how they did that and what you can do to protect yourself from future loss.

ID
#271971 Review #271971 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Merrifield, Virginia
Usaa Claim
USAA builds its business on the idea that they take care of military members and their families. As an active duty service member, currently deployed to the Middle East, I can tell you this is not true in my case. USAA is currently refusing to pay a $10,000 home owners...

We too are in a similiar situation. CONCEALED WATER LEAK under Roman tub, causes severe damage to pony wall between tub and shower.

Because the drywall was wet and eroded...they considered it LONG TERM and will NOT cover it!!

IT WAS CONCEALED...who knows HOW LONG it was leaking...it finally showed up in erosion of the drywall. ONE PISSED of CUSTOMER!

ID
#271961 Review #271961 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Montgomery, Alabama
Usaa Homeowners Insurance

Usaa sucks

I got into a car accident on October 3rd. My car is still not fixed. I got hit by one of their members. My car has been worked on by the car place they keep sending it to about fifteen times. Still not fixed. I got stuck in the middle of traffic the other day. The Car just stopped. I cant help but to feel like had I been hit by someone who did not have usaa, the problem would have been solved by now. My car was not acting funny until the accident, and I am being told they will get back to me in a week and no one ever calls. I would never recommend them to anyone.

:( I know what you mean, My account was compromised by Capital Payday whom I have no idea who they are. There are many complaints and warnings about Capital Payday they stole money with a fake check in my name.

Now USAA says I need to bring my account back to a positive balance before they will close the account and open a new one. LMAO never heard of this before.

Ditto. Common for many to say "it wasn't like this before the accident". How about the rest of the story bub?

If you accepted the vehicle from the shop and USAA agreed and paid for the repairs, your recourse is the shop not USAA. USAA seems to have been very patient with you and allowed you to return the car to the shop 15 times. I think there's more to this episode than you are reporting here.

ID
#271960 Review #271960 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Jacksonville, North Carolina

USSA

I have been getting the run arund from USSA, one of their insured hit me, and now they don't want to pay for damages. i am going to have to get a lawyer involved so i can get my vehicle fixed. I have never seen such a poor insurance company when it comes to handling accidents. This is by far the worst company to deal with. It has been over a week and no one has called me. Pray no one from this company hits your car. An adjuster came out and took pictures, and now they said according to the pictures, their insured was not at fault. I have three witnesses that can say otherwise.

USAA send to me to Benson Collision Center for the Preliminary Estimate 11/8/2011 today is 11/15/2011 ,I call to USAA because no body calls, and they said they don't have the information from Benson Collision, I call Benson Collsion Center and they said the iformation was send 11/8/2011 , I call theme like more than five times they don't have the iformation jet, the worst experince ever, I will pray every day to not be hit again from an USAA policy holders

I was involved in an accidentvon Sept.27 of this year with one one their policy holders, he ran a red light and totaled my truck, the police report and a witness states the same, my truck is still at my house and they tell me they are not going to pay, the police report according to them is just a piece of paper, anyway USAA will not pay for your vehicle if the insured says its not their fault, they suck and cause more damage than the accident,,,

AND THE PEOPLE WHO WORK FOR THEM ARE VERY RUDE, AND CONDESENDING, AND TREAT YOU LIKE DIRT, BEWARE OF THEM!

why don't you let your insurace company handle it for you? That is why you pay them, they should be the ones to call usaa and get your car fixed!!

I was really surprised to see this remark about USAA. My whole family has USAA, and I have had them as an auto insurance since 1975. I've never heard stories like this before.

I'd escalate the claim before forking money to get a lawyer. Just keep telling them, "I'm going hire, who do I need to call??"

Good luck with your claim....

I'm sorry to hear you're having problems. I've been with USAA for over 10 years and I'm sorry to say I have been in an accident where it was my fault.

All parties were happy in the end. I was thankful that USAA didn't penalize me (my one and only accident) and the person I hit was not injured and her car was fixed with no problem.

View more comments (4)
Atlanta, Georgia
My kids were driving my car (22 & 15 yrs old) on August 4, 2011 and were rear ended by a USAA insured driver. Turns out the driver had earlier been to the dentist and was put under for a procedure, then went to a local bar and admitted to have 4 beers. USAA picked up...
Sumner, Washington

USAA Authorizes $6000 Charge

On October 15 someone charged and USAA approved a $6000 charge to my account. Granted, given its a credit card account I'm not liable but that's not the point. They approved a $6000 charge yet about ten days earlier froze my account over three charges that totaled less $100. Go figure. The part though that aggravates me is I told them the charge was bogus on October 16 when I spotted it (it was a "pending" charge) and here it is the 24th and the $6000 is still showing as a charge. I'm being told I need to wait while the fraud department evaluates. Charge was made to an airplane salesman in Jay, Florida. Don't fly airplanes nor even own a pilot's license.
Griswold, Iowa
Product
Usaa Account

USAA Insurance - Sells Your Data

A friend of mine recomended USAA. I called and got a quote. It was 2.5 times higher than GEICO, including umbrella, so I told them thanks, but not thanks. Withing a week, I started getting calls from insurance solicitors on my provate line. I had made the mistake of calling USAA from that number, and, even though I did not give the number to them directly, they captured it on caller ID and sold my information. Solution - if you have to call them, use your Google phone or other similar. Better yet, don't waste your time with a company that is not only not competitive, but from what I read, has terrible claim service.

I am a loyal USAA customer/employee and absolutely do not believe that the USAA CEO would permit that kind of conduct: e.g. selling membership data to other insurers.

So I suggest that you write General Robles directly at:

Josue Robles, Jr.

CEO - USAA

34 Royal Gardens Dr

San Antonio, TX 78248

and ask General Robles plainly and directly whether we employees sold your data.

General Robles is an extremely honest and transparent man: and he will respond to you right away. I think that we can also expect General Robles to respond right here on these pages.

Information is not sold, I have never had that problem.

USAA is higher if you do not have any other accounts with them. If you open a savings account or anything, the rates drop significantly. GEICO was twice as high for me and with less coverage than what USAA provides.

Also throwing the *** flag

That is where the lie comes in. USAA does not sell information, period.

I find it interesting that the responder would be reading a web site called pissed consumer looking for comments on a company he personally is happy with. Sounds like someone on the inside trying to thwart the free flow of information.

I can assure him (and anyone else who reads this) that USAA sold, or gave away, my personal information and private phone number. I specifically asked the cold caller where they got my data and they told me USAA.

None of this is true. Have used USAA for years and they NEVER sell your information.

View more comments (5)