USAA Reviews

Show reviews that mention
insurance service customer customer service money account car bank claim phone
Filter review

USSA Can suck A BIG One

They blocked my account. They have to review my accout. for what its my money i should be able to spend it the way i want.. when i want. How i want.... they are not helping me they are hurting my. I have a small business and i can not work now because all my money i have is in that account.. I cant buy gas. Nothing My jeep is on Empty. So i cant leave the house because i could not get gas, because they blocked my card.. So how is that helping a service member...leaving a vet. with no money....They are lucky they are in TX..

I agree. I tried to get home owners insurance

through them and they said no. They said they

are not writing policies in my area. So much for their

slogan"we know what it means to serve"

I guess my sixteen months in Vietnam means

nothing.

So you're using a individual consumer checking account for business purposes? Good job, dude.

Washington, District Of Columbia

USAA - EXTREMELY SLOW ON HOUSE THEFT CLAIM

On May 9, 2012, I was robbed. The thieves stole my work equipment leaving me unable to work. When I called USAA promptly I was told they would deposit 1,500.00 into my non-USAA checking account so I could purchase new work tools. The representative told it would be in my account in 2-3 days. 10 days later, I still did not have the funds promised in my account. I complained and complained. I was ultimately told they had the WRONG routing number on my checking account. I knew that was a lie because they had just deposited $500.00 8 days before. I was told story after story no one would give me a straight answer. Then the SPECIAL INVESTIGATOR came and spoke with me 3 weeks after the incident. Still, this case is still open...NO ONE has contacted me and I do not know what is going on with my claim. WHAT A JOKE. I work in customer service and this is not acceptable business practices. What a bunch of ****!

You two need to hire a public adjuster to handle these problems for you. A public adjuster is licensed to negotiate with insurance companies.

Once you have your own adjuster they take things more seriously. You can contact me at ErikTheAdjuster@***.com I am licensed and based in Colorado, but my firm works in other states as well.

Wow, this is my story, as well. I have not been able to settle my burglary claim with them and it has been 8 months.

No one will call me back, they don't answer their phone... I have been transferred to three different adjusters, each one losing my paperwork from the previous one.

It has gotten so messed up that the process has become worse than the burglary, itself! I have been with them for over 30 years and I am moving all of my investment funds elsewhere - BOO!

Colorado Springs, Colorado

Lost Paperwork, Increased Points

I've been working on refinancing my house since October, 2011. As of today, I still don't have a closing date. All I receive from USAA is more requests for paperwork, then they lose it and I have to re-submit it. On top of all that, because of delayed closings, I have to pay more points every two weeks in order to keep the interest rate the same. The loan processor state it's not to teir advantage to extend the loan terms ny charing more points. Really? It appears to me they want to collect more points and are not interested in closing the loan until it benefits them.

I am experiencing the same thing ... what a racket.

Yes, they have done the same to us here in Hawaii. Their customer service sucks.

Lakeville, Minnesota
Usaa Mortgage
My name is Amanda and, like Melissa, I also work at USAA here in San Antonio- the only difference is that I work on the Conventional side. Trust me- us processors here on the conventional team are also making paystubs, tax returns (WE HATE YOU SELF EMPLOYED BORROWERS...

Self employed people work their *** off, and make their own way. Have a little respect.

Plano, Texas

USAA: Bold-faced Liars

USAA is a terrible organization that has no care for it's customers and their families. I recently went TDY for several weeks. Prior to my departure, I added a debit card for my wife (who is a foreign national new to this country). We also recently had our first child ( 6 weeks old), and my wife does not work so she can stay home and care for him. Before the debit card was activated, USAA informed me they needed a copy of her military ID--nothing more. I faxed in a copy, then called to confirm they received it, which they did. They activated her card, allowed several transactions, and without notice, placed a hold on the entire account. This couldn't happen at a worse time. My wife was out of groceries, and my son needed diapers, wipes, and diaper rash cream. After speaking with USAA, they informed me that they misinformed me, and they need more information for verification. I explained my situation and the fact that my family should not have to suffer for their mistake. They refused to rectify the situation until I faxed the information in. The problem is, my wife doesn't have access to money, or a fax, and I am 5,000 miles away. Finally, I got a buddy to fax them the information--which they claimed they did not receive, 3 TIMES! Finally they got it, and proceed to tell them again, they want additional information in conjunction with their previous request. The did not care my son was without diapers and wipes, nor did they care that my wife did not have money to get food and potable water. I has lost complete respect for this company, and learned that they are just like every other corporate brand--money hungry without a care for its costs to consumers. The last I checked, food was life and death and sanitary items are a necessity in the prevention or potentially fatal infections--not that they care. If this is how they treat military families, I will no longer be using their services. Just got a follow up from USAA. They received my complaint I filed with the Better Business Bureau. All of a sudden, they tell me they have had all the information they requested for over 2 months and have fixed my account. This comes after they told me yesterday that they didn't receive anything, and that I needed to send everything for the 4th time. USAA is a pile of untrustworthy, unprofessional, disorganized, and downright disrespectful people. Supporters of the U.S. military and their families my ***.

:( USAA used to take pride in taking care of their customers-pretty much since their member expansion a few year ago-they could not care less! It is a shame-I'm taking my business elsewhere.

ID
#320511 Review #320511 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Washington, District Of Columbia
Usaa Account
I am a SGM in the U.S. Army and the following is a true experience I am having at this time (22 May 12) as I am trying to retire and move home. WARNING DO NOT USE USAA FOR HOME MORTGAGES. YOU WILL REGRET THE EXPERIENCE. NOT WORTH SAVING ANY MONEY BECAUSE BY THE TIME...

They kept losing emails. They would not return calls. The VA told them they backed the loan for the home and USAA still would not release the loan papers. the people that work in mortgage were horrible until we had the Manager working the case. Then it still took longer, but We made it to closing. We talked with USAA two days prior t closing about our escrow holdback. They told us we were all set. We were suppose to get 5k back at closing and then 10k within 30 days to pay the contractor to repair items agreed upon prior to closing. Well at closing they took the 5k and put it towards the house instead of cutting me a check for my money to be returned. then I had to pay more out of pocket at closing due to the fees changing. Yes I said changing. it is easier to go to Wells Fargo and I would have had less trouble and would have closed earlier.

I did so much of the work for the Mortgage department, such as getting in touch with the VA and have the VA fix paperwork etc..

I would not recommend this company to anyone for a home mortgage. there is just so much i could go on and on but I just got in from work.

I wish you all the best.

ID
#320495 Review #320495 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Dallas, Texas
Usaa Loan

USAA Told me one price and charged me another

I just closed on my home loan with USAA and was very dissatisfied with the service. I was told what my costs would be and as I went through the presses and paid for possessing fees and other fees when it came time to close I was told the price was going to $1500 more then what I was told 2 months ago when I first applied, or I would need to increase my interest rate to keep the cost down. It was to late to change lenders and I had already put out over $800.00. On top of that it took twice as long as I was told it would and I had to pay the seller on the home $2,000 more so they would extend the contract because USAA went past the original closing date. I would never use USAA AGAIN.

If anyone cares to get in touch with me for questions, please email me: amanda.walshenheim@***.com

I am not afraid of giving my work email because I want to prove to people that I am not a "vengeful member" pretending to be an employee!!

I am reviewing a lot of complaints today from USAA- I want to respond to as many as possible since I am in a great position to provide a lot of insight, seeing that I am a current Processor at USAA Mortgage. Okay, with the fees: USAA routinely breaks federal RESPA laws (the GFE of fees you get up front) because they have deployed a practice of "hitting" you with additional fees as the process goes a long.

For instance: If your property comes back in a Flood Zone, not only do you need flood ins (thats everywhere though) but USAA imposes a risk based surcharge for being in a flood zone (no one lese does this and it is illegal) and this will appear on your settlement statement at closing. Currently, it is 1.24% of the loan amount. In other words, the typical $100,000 loan will have an extra $1024 tacked on at closing.

I am completely shocked and surprised that they still do this. I guess members are not that financially savvy to notice this at closing :-)

ID
#320492 Review #320492 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Denver, Colorado
Loss

USAA IS NOT FOR MILITARY FAMILIES WHO HAVE BAD LUCK!!!!!!

Cancelled our property insurance due to exceed claims and they have the right to cancel you. 1st claim. Wind broke patio table and umbrella. 2nd claim. Kid broke a glass door in our rental house. 3rd claim. People broke in our home and took military supplies, laptops, camera & jewelry. We were not able to renew! Car insurance. We hit a deer, hit & run on post, someone hit our car causing a total loss. The car was a total loss after the deer but by accident they still gave us full coverage and when try to claim they said I was not allowed bc I was never suppose to have full coverage for a total loss. I said well I fixed my car, took it for insp and I am paying for my full coverage? So they had to take care of it. Jewelry insurance: Someone stole a ring in Prague and we not being aware of having insurance still for this did not claim until one day my husband checked the acts and saw a monthly charge from USAA. Bye mistake they never canceled the other policy and after you have no more property insurance you are not allowed to have any other coverage. My husband told them well is your fault I had been paying for years and is there so my wife lost her ring and I will like to claim it. They said I lied and the inspector close the case as not enough evidence or something like that. I am no allowed to see the case in writing just by phone! So funny the time they are claiming they talked to me I was out of the country and they can't even give me a name or a phone number of who they talked to. We never got an e-mail concerning this matter and they said they mailed letter which we never received. Case closed no pay and not allowed to any other policies concerning insurance for any of our belongs! MY HUSBAND CALLED TO GET FULL COVERAGE YESTERDAY AND HE WAS TOLD THAT HE IS NOT ALLOWED TO FULL COVERAGE DUE TO THE RIND ACCIDENT THIS TIME. EVERY TIME THEY USE A DIFFERENT EXCUSE AND ALWAYS THE ONE THEY MESSED UP WITH BECAUSE THEY DID NOT CANCEL US LIKE THEY WERE SUPPOSE TOO. I AM WARNING YOU TO PLEASE KEEP IN MIND HOW THEY WORK THINGS AROUND AND EXCUSES ARE USED ALWAYS IN THEIR FAVOR. THE PROBLEM IS THAT YOU ARE NOT ALLOWED TO SEE INSPECTOR PAPERS AND DECISIONS. I TOLD THEM TODAY I DO NOT CARE FOR USAA BECAUSE WE AHVE ANOTHER PROPERTY INSURANCE AND AUTO INSURANCE WHO IS EVEN BEATING THEIR PRICES. WE USE TO PAY MONTHLY FOR USAA AND NOW WE ARE PAYING THE SAME AMOUNT FOR THE WHOLE YEAR! IF YOU WANT PROOF OF ALL THEY AHVE DONE TO US, CONTACT ME I AM WILLING TO POST THIS ANYWHERE TO AWARE MILITARY FAMILIES LIKE US OF CLAIMS IN THEIR FUTURE. IF YOU ARE FREE OF CLAIMS OF COURSE YOU WILL BE 100% SATISFIED CUSTOMER :)

Based on the information you provided I would not insure you either. You either have the worst luck in the world or you are running an scam.

You have more claims then sense! Dont blame USAA just blame yourself for leaving the house.

People with as much bad luck as you have really should not leave the house. Ever.

I agree, they never support our military families. I have heard hundreds of negative stories about USAA, to include several of my own.

No wonder they are playing so many commercials. They should be rated and kicked out of banking to America's precious military commodity.

ID
#320001 Review #320001 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Munich, Bavaria
Usaa Auto Insurance

USAA left us stranded with no vehicle rude

Was sent on a Monday morning at 7:30 to have an estimate done on vehicle there insured hit us. We were told the car should not be driven. The body shop sent us to get a rental vehicle. The rental place would not give us one since they had not been contacted by insurance company. The USAA had sent in the assignment to the body shop as a liability claim and then said it was only an estimate they had not admitted liability yet. The USAA left us stranded at the rental car place, was very rude and ugly on the phone and then told us to rent our own vehicle. I am so glad I never choose this company for insurance, I just want the car fixed and be treated like another human being.

We have insurance through USAA. When we got a new car they claimed we were committing insurance fraud because even though we had called and updated our information the person who was supposed to update it negelected to put the car's information in their system.

I too was hit by one of their insured, two weeks ago, and can't even get a call back from them. I have a feeling, this is not going to go well.

Must be more to this story. USAA has always been polite on the phone to me, and I have called them many times. I know of no insurance company that will admit liability.

ID
#319923 Review #319923 is a subjective opinion of poster.
Trenton, Georgia

Satisfied USAA Customer for 50 Yrs

I know this blog is for complaints but I just wanted to say there is at least one satisfied USAA customer out there. I just completed 50 yrs as a USAA customer and I am pleased to say I've never been dissatisfied with the cost of their products or the quality of their service. I use them for banking (checking and web bill paying), auto and home owner's insurance, and loans. It might be possible to find lower premiums for auto and home insurance however the quality of their service is worth the higher premium. My claims have always been paid promptly and fully; I could never find a term life insurance policy by another company that offered an equivalent level of coverage for the same low premium, and the interest rate on my home mortgage was only 5% eight yrs ago. And then too there's that subscribers refund at the end of the year that really sweetens the deal for me.

Don't be duped by some of the folks on here that say they're real happy; they're happy because they've managed to operate within the boundaries of acceptability set by the theives at USAA. First of all, they LOVE small claims, usually paying them out with no adjuster involvement or anything.

Not only can they then raise your rate for 3 years, but during those 3 years, the C.L.U.E. database shows you as having a claim, and other companies will not write you a policy....so that's 3 years you can't shop!!

It goes on and on, and they will slow-cook you on rate increases. This doofus that's a 50 year member is not shopping rates, and he's paying for it.

I'm still with USAA after 30-35 years and although I do think the service has deteriorated somewhat from what it used to be and it's not the cheapest any more, I still think they are the best available. My home recently burned to the ground leaving my wife and I standing outside in houseshoes and pajamas. USAA was there for us and the settlement was exactly what we expected.

I have been with USAA for 30 years and I can say they are horrible!They have gone down hill. I am getting ready to transfer all of my USSA products to an independant agent.

Hilo, Hawaii

USAA is Very Unprofessional and Rude

Update by user Sep 08, 2012

After posting this complaint, USAA denied my claim. They actually made up details of the accident that did not happen.

I do not know if I can blame the company as a whole or just this particular claims agent. He was rude and unprofessional from the start. My insurance company decided to fight back as they knew I was not at fault.

They took the case to arbitration and I just found out that we won 100%. I will be receiving a check in the mail for the deductible that I paid out of pocket and my insurance company will be reimbursed the money their paid for my repairs as well.

Original review posted by user May 08, 2012
It is very sad that I am having to write about a company that is supposed to care about the military and people. This company does not! I was involved in an accident with a USAA member and was interrogated when I was contacted by USAA. The accident was not my fault by the way. They do not care that I am unable to operate my vehicle or that I am paying for a rental to get around. They are taking their sweet time doing their investigation when it is pretty cut and dry who was at fault in this accident. They are an absolutely horrible company to deal with and should be ashamed of themselves. I will be letting all of the military people I know what an unethical company this is and to steer far away. I have heard many complaints from people who are already members too and that is a shame. People pay insurance for incidents like this and I should not be treated like a criminal when trying to transact legitimate business that they should be paying.

I have had usaa since 1986.

The only problem I have had is that we could not use them when we moved to Florida for our home owners insurance since they no longer write new policies here.

I have been involved in accidents with my cars and always received great service, including being hit by another insured member.

I don't know if they are more expensive but I really don't care. I always speak with someone within 5 minutes of calling, mostly less than 2 minutes, they are always helpful, polite, and professional.

I have checking, savings, investments, retirement, and insurance accounts with them and have had mortgages and car loans with them.

I have never had a problem.

Maybe I am just lucky.

It is not their job to cater to you if your vehicle is not driveable, you are not their insured. They legally have 30 days to investigate a claim, and if they can't get in touch with their insured to verify that your story is correct, then thats not USAA's fault.

You should have your own insurance in the event that the responsible party can't be reached. So quit whining.

Satisfied customer, in the state that I live in, it is the insurance company's responsibility to determine who is at fault. The police do not do that. I work for a financial institution too for many years, as well as in the insurance field specifically.

Most of your complaints make no sense. USAA is in the business to help military families and stay within the laws and regulations of a financial institution as well.

They are not suppose to care about the diaper rash of a child or "obiviously" see whose fault an accident is. Please understand that a company's job is to service, not hand hold. I am not an employee of USAA.

I am a satisfied member for a number of years. I am, however, and employee of another financial institution and understand the behind the scenes situations better than those that don't.

When you have one claim and they know it's worth enough for them but not enough for an attorney to take your case they lie manipulate and shut you down. All bad faith!!!

I have been that "loyal" member for 9 years, I ask for an honest answer in writing, you know, a policy, and was treated like I was *** for months to follow.

Insulted, denied, lied to. Pathetic!!!

Insulted, denied, lied to. Pathetic!!!

So, what you are saying is you are not a member and are complaining of how they treat you.....well that explains it. If you were a member you would know that USAA is the Best there is, for it's members.

To you it's just another insurance company because you are just an average civilian.

I have had the pleasure of having them behind me in all that I have for more than 12 yrs and will spent the rest of my life with them. I've purchased 3 vehicles with USAA, a House , and have had all insured thru them.....so , I can proudly say that USAA is the best benefit to ever joining the military.

Agreed we have had them for 5 years. They are terrible with customer service.

I hate that you pay so much and when you want to use it your treated like a criminal is right.

Allstate is the way to go. I filed 2 complaints with the BBB.

View more comments (7)
Charlotte, North Carolina

Usaa terrible financial services

Cannot connect to any of my finanacial accounts. Went through 9 different people & 7 departments & still cannot get to any of my accounts. Telephone promps do not address problem soving only selling business. No personal help that solved a *** thing. Can never talk to a human being. New MY LIFE service is a joke. USAA doesn"t give a dam about you unless you are buying something. You cannot even go to the main building and get a human being in person. They send you to a small room with a monitor screen & telephone. They are great in getting your money but then no service afterward

You can sit there listening to an automated recording all day if you choose to or at anytime you can ask for a rep. I would recommend you Try the mobile apps ,but something tells my you aren't very Tech savvy . USAA IS THE BEST at all they do, just like the Military they support.

Dallas, Texas
Our home was broken into and our coin collection that we had in a locked safe was stolen. The value of the collection was in excess of $33,000.00. USAA wants to only reimburse us $200.00 stating that it is the limit on our policy for coins. For Christ sake, a coin...

I messed up when I took out my policy we had a major theft and I lost allot of Silver bullion and the coverage is 200.00 dollars USAA has a rider for something like 22 dollars that will cover Bullion definitely purchasing a rider when I re purchase my silver and gold bullion. Another thing is reciepts I never hold onto them but I will now ...

just things you never think about. Live and learn ...

Salem, Illinois
Usaa Homeowners Insurance

Declined claim even though policy holder at fault

USAA is horrible!!!! In December I was hit by one of their policy holders who was cited for speeding by police as per witness statement. USAA has decided that they were not at fault and that they will now pursue a lawsuit against me to recover damages to their policy holders vehicle. They have called me and yelled at me many many times. I even had an employee tell me to be quite because he was the one talking not me. USAA has horrible business practices and they don't care that the person on the other end of the line is human and should be treated like one. They want me to cooperate and I have told them numerous times to speak to my lawyer but they refuse.

So, you filed a claim under your home insurance . Why didn't you have the collection insured?

I would call that being penny wise and dollar ***. Funny thing about collections like that, they are really only valuable to there owners. How well was your home defended ? Who knew of your collection?

What kind of hood do you live in? All factors in protecting what's yours and sorry , but sounds like you did little to protect your precious coins.

Don't blame the insurance Co. They insured what you told them to.

I was hit by a policy holder on April 20th 2012 in a parking lot. Although my car was 90% out of my parking space, and the USSA policy holders car was just starting to back out when we hit.

No damage was done to their car, but about $500.00 damage was done to mine.

I called USSA and gave them all the information the required, but as of today May 7th 2012 I have yet to hear from the claim adjuster. I did however call their claims department on May 1st and another claims adjuster told me that they ( USSA )have determined that no one was at fault.

Still waiting to hear from the claims who took all the information with a reason for their decision.

Something else is going on here. USAA is great. Lies, Lies, Lies.

Amarillo, Texas
Loss
Had hail damage on my car today. Called USAA insurance since my car is under storage insurance to report a claim but since my car is already paid for USAA will cannot cover the damage, I was told that Storage insurance would work only if the car was still financed....

The money you saved from only paying the storage insurance is probably more than enough to compensate the hail.

Barcelona, Catalonia